Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TUTORIAL: AWStats with APACHE2

Beans

Re: TUTORIAL: AWStats with APACHE2

Thanks, this works for straight Debian as well. I wonder why the original debian package changed the file locations in the first place without modifying the installer to match the changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I installed awstats without a problem, BUT when I view my stats pages (http://url/awstats/awstats.pl?config=bla) I don't see any stats....

All the fields stay zero. So I see the page perfectly, but everythings stay 0....
    And my access.log IS filled.
    ( -rw-r----- 1 root www-data 512048 2005-11-04 20:24 access.log )

What happened???

Beans

Unhappy Re: TUTORIAL: AWStats with APACHE2

I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 5.10.

These website statistic programs seem to be such a pain in the ***.. I wish they made something simplier.. or at least made an official ubuntu howto.

Please help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Lightbulb Re: TUTORIAL: AWStats with APACHE2

For the - numerous - 0 0 0 0 0 etc. in Awstats : are you sure you have updated stats with :
    Code:
    sudo /usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/awstats.pl -update -config=yoursite.org
    Quote Originally Posted by shubjero
    These website statistic programs seem to be such a pain in the ***.. I wish they made something simplier.. or at least made an official ubuntu howto.
    Awstats really ain't that...
    But if you want something really (really really...) simple to cope with, I think Webalizer could fit. You will find info here for example...
    Last edited by kmi; March 29th, 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

I seem to be having a similar problem, although now it has morphed. I couldn't update awstats, I got "couldn't open access.log" error but managedto get that to work. However, my access.log is not working right now. Before I installed (mangled) awstats, it worked perfectly and I watched it with tail -f command. Now it does not update accurately, any idea what I should start looking for?

I can sit on the log with tail -f /var/log/apache2/access.log and today I only see this (from yesterday) but I had friends hit site and it didn't record them.

192.168.x.x - - [16/Jun/2006:22:49:35 -0700] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 287 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060418 Firefox/1.0.8 (Ubuntu package 1.0.8)"
    212.95.x.x - - [17/Jun/2006:00:31:55 -0700] "HEAD /icons/apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Awesome Tutorial...Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

For those that are following these instructions and are using Breezy, I noticed that the install forgot to add this to my apache config

Options FollowSymLinks

make sure your config includes this (see below)

<Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    #Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Directory>

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stupidbastard View Post
    I can sit on the log with tail -f /var/log/apache2/access.log and today I only see this (from yesterday) but I had friends hit site and it didn't record them.

192.168.x.x - - [16/Jun/2006:22:49:35 -0700] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1" 404 287 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060418 Firefox/1.0.8 (Ubuntu package 1.0.8)"
    212.95.x.x - - [17/Jun/2006:00:31:55 -0700] "HEAD /icons/apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 - "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"
    Yeah, I got the same problem as you.. Apache doesn't seem to write to access.log anymore after I followed this tutorial..
    Anyone who have got a solution to this?

I hope someone can help me, I re-installed my server today because of the problem that it didn't write to access.log. And now that I've read these posts I know the source of it.. too late though, I followed the tutorial again without reading all posts. Damn.

Anyone who can give me a hand? I would be very thankful!
    Last edited by Catty; November 9th, 2006 at 12:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I have spent several hours trying to get apache2 to work with my ubuntu 6.10 box. I can get the Apache test page but I still get a 403 forbidden access denied error. I tried all the things every one said to try. I have my user permissions set for www.....I think?

Could some one explain more simplified how permissions work? I think this is where I am stuck but all the information I find is very vague.
    -Patrick Kelly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Doesn't this whole tutorial defeat the purpose of using apt-get to install in the first place? With all this copying and symlinking; what happens when it's time to update the software? It's just as well to install from tarball.

Instead of modifying the apache config file with a perl script there should be an example conf file to drop into conf.d ...

Am I the only one who thinks the awstats package needs a little attention?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast