Thread: Formatting SD Cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Formatting SD Cards

All,

I have been dealing with a particularly unique problem over the past few days at work. I need to format many many many SD Flash cards, most are about 1 GB versions. I tried windows XP and wow, did that not work well at ALL. Anyway, in linux I have been using GParted to erase and format them. However sometimes the drive is not recognized (even by the OS) and I have to play around with the USB hub, move cards around, etc.

The system that is in use now are two 7-port USB hubs that are connected to the computer and each have seven SanDisk ImageMate SD Card Readers attached to it, making 14 in all. For a while it was working better (overall way better that XP BTW!) but now its hanging, have to close out GParted, remove the card, power off the USB Hub, then it lets me open GParted beacuse it won't open otherwise, refresh GParted, reconnect the hub power and refresh again and only then will it start working for a little bit.

Each card is formatted one at a time using this system and GParted. I have a few questions:

* Is there a way to fix the reconization problems?
    * Does anyone know of a program that will reformat ALL or at least MULTIPLE SD cards at the same time?
    * Is there a problem with the USB hub and maybe something similiar to windows registry type problems?
    * We are concerned that the USB hub could be overheating in it's enclosure and self-protecting circuits in the chip power down, has anyone had any problems like this?

All in All, I need to find a way of formatting about 1,000 to 2,000 cards per day... it's been a headache but I'm hoping with some more guidance I can straighten the process out. Thank you in advance! I really really really appreciate ANY help what-so-ever!

Thank You,

KB1LQC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Formatting SD Cards

it would be awesome if i got any suggestions! Please!