Thread: VESTA (a 3D Visualization System for Electronic and Structural Analysis) Install

Beans

VESTA (a 3D Visualization System for Electronic and Structural Analysis) Install

Hello everybody,

I was trying to install VESTA (http://www.geocities.jp/kmo_mma/crystal/en/vesta.html) on ubuntu. Installation part is really easy, just extracting files. But the problem comes with running.

When I start VESTA it gives me the error:

VESTA: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I searched for the tiff libraries and I found that hardy heron has libtiff4. When I searched for all packages from web I could not find libtiff.so.3.

Long story short, I am in trouble

Can you help me?

ciao

Beans

Re: VESTA (a 3D Visualization System for Electronic and Structural Analysis) Install

Sorry for taking your time. I found the answer on a web page, which is

The solution:

You have to make so that the system to use the newer tiff library.

For the purpose you have to go in the following directory: /usr/lib by using cd /usr/lib/

Then just link the libtiff.so.4 library with the libtiff.so.3 one. Just type the following:

ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3

Thanks,

ciao

Beans

Re: VESTA (a 3D Visualization System for Electronic and Structural Analysis) Install

What is the procedure of the installation? I'm dont understand the procedure description in the VESTA_manual.pdf.
    Last edited by mjcomps; August 14th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm a new user trying to install VESTA and don't see VESTA_manual.pdf anywhere in the installation package. Where can I find installation instructions? Thanks!

Beans

The PDF manual is in the documentation tab on the VESTA homepage.

However, the PDF manual simply states that the tar.bz2 files should be extracted to a folder. Then to run VESTA, just double click on the file. But nothing happens when I double click on the file.

p.s. I am a brand new convert to Linux (4 hours ago) and I don't know much