Thread: assistive technology feature?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

assistive technology feature?

Sorry totally new here.. I tried to use the accessibility features, so far I only got the ORCA to work but not the magnifier. I can't seem to find where the on-screen keyboard also. Can someone show me how. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: assistive technology feature?

Also I have no idea what Oxa means. I like shortcuts, but the keyboard shortcuts is hard to understand.

Moved to Assistive Technology forum.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

In order for the magnifier to work in Orca, you need to disable Desktop Effects. Press ALT+F1 for the menus, go to System, Preferences, Appearance. Go to the last tab in that dialog and select the None radio button.

After this, you should be able to enable the magnifier in Orca. Press Insert+Space to bring up the Orca UI preferences window. Go to the Magnifier tab and check Enable Magnifier.
    sudo: A word from Spanish that means "I sweat".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks... the Magnifier works with orca. However I get dizzy after a bit of using the magnifier. I change the prefences for the arrow to be centered so it helped a bit. But I still find it strange that I can't just activate the magnifier without the orca.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I still can't use the magnifier by itself without the screen reader. Do you know how to just turn on the magnifier?

Beans

To stop speech you need to get orca preferences up. Go to the speech tab and uncheck Enable Speech. Press OK and the speech should stop. Another tip. You can quit the magnifier by pressing the quit button next to the preferences button. To restart the magnifier you can get a terminal up and type the command

Code:
    orca &

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by witwolf View Post
    I still can't use the magnifier by itself without the screen reader. Do you know how to just turn on the magnifier?
    Press ALT+F2 for the Run Command.
    Type orca -d speech and press Enter.
    If this works, you can create a Desktop launcher with this command.
    sudo: A word from Spanish that means "I sweat".