Thread: [SOLVED] Good graphics card?

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Good graphics card?

Hey there, I'm planning a switch to a dual monitor set up, but I don't have a clue what a good graphics card with a dual output is. I am willing to spend about $100-150. (I'm a teen on a budget, haha, I still have to buy the other monitor too.) Any advice would be great.

I am running 8.04 (Hardy,) in case you needed to know.

Thanks,
    -JKMcL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Good graphics card?

Really anything from nvidia with 2 outputs on it should be great. Just install the nvidia restricted drivers, then after a reboot install nvidia-settings package to configure your second display.

The other question is, are you planning to play games on it? If not, you could get by just great on a $50 nvidia card.

If you're looking at gaming, you can get 9600 series cards that fit your budget. If you're willing to go up to $200, you can find 9800GTXs, which would definitely be worth the cost difference.
    "I was dead long before you were born, and I'll be dead long after you're dead."

Beans

At that price your probably going to be limited to the Nvidia 8600 GT which is a nice card as long as your don't do high end gaming.

Beans

I don't do any gaming on my computer, besides the occasional flash game. You both just saved me a whole lot of research. Thanks alot to both of you.

-JKMcL