Thread: compiz emerald themes

crowhill is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

compiz emerald themes

hi there

i'm not completely new to linux. however, i'm the total newbie when it comes to compiz or emerald themes.

what is the definition of a compiz emerald theme? when googling for those themes, you get to see fancy window borders and beautiful desktop backgrounds and arrangements. however, when you download and install one of those themes using the emerald theme manager the only thing that changes are the borders of the windows. where is the desktop background and the fancy, sometimes un-gnomy, arrangement of the panels? what's the big deal with these 3D themes if they only change the window borders? am i missing something fundamental here?

some advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks a lot in advance,
    cheers,
    crowhill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: compiz emerald themes

AFAIK Emerald just does window decorations so what you're experiencing is about right. I think its the gtk theme that deals with the menus and icons. You can find these on gnome-look.org under GTK 2.x in the menu.

Sometimes if you look on the same page where you downloaded an emerald theme, the artist will give you links to anything else they used to make the screenshots...

EDIT: Desktop background can be changed by right clicking on the desktop and selecting 'change desktop background'. Most images found on the web or even personal images can be used as your wallpaper!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That's because emerald just handles your window borders.
    If you wan't more 3D effects play around with compiz, and for a fresh look on panels look at this thread.

HOW-TO: Awn curves to personalize your panels

HOW TO: Make your Ubuntu Desktop Look like a Mac to add some great looks

Mac4lin also this thread
    Last edited by Darkade; June 26th, 2008 at 12:21 AM.

crowhill is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

great! thanks a lot for the answers. they look great! they keep me busy for a while

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: compiz emerald themes

gnome-look.org for many compiz themes, wallpapers, icons - everything you could need to get a cool custom desktop for your new linux box.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.