Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reinstall windows and make a dual boot Systems

Beans

reinstall windows and make a dual boot Systems

I am new in Linux and have installed ubuntu to my computer and deleted all partitions, i want now to reinstall windows and make a dual booting OSs.
    my hard now has the following partitions:
    1)/dev/sda1 ntfs 13.68
    2)unallocated 14.01
    3)/dev/sda3 ext3 25.61
    4)/dev/sda2 extended 2.59
    5)/dev/sda6 Linux-swap 1.15
    6)/dev/sda5 fat32 1.44

please advice how can I reinstall windows, i have tried to boot from the recovery cd but after formating nothing happening?

Beans

Re: reinstall windows and make a dual boot Systems

Do you not have an actual Windows installation disk?

You should note that it quite a bit harder to install Windows second in a dual boot environment but possible.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

AnasZ: What have you tried?

Also you'll need this guide later for sure!
    Edwin Soto
    Ubuntero Developer - Ubuntero.org
    Jaunty Jackalope i386 - Custom Shuttle PC

Beans

well I used the recovery CD of my laptop but after it is formating the 1st partition of the disk it starts again the ubuntu and no windows is showing in the starting menu while booting??
    Last edited by AnasZ; June 26th, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by AnasZ View Post
    well I used the recovery CD of my laptop but after it is formating the 1st partition of the disk it starts again the ubuntu and no windows is showing in the starting menu while booting??
    You mean in the GRUB menu? as in the list of operating systems you can boot to?

if so follow this guideand use the super GRUB disk to recover your windows boot.
    Edwin Soto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is he wanting to recover though?

If you deleted all your partitions, windows won't be there anymore. but if ubuntu is still there, then you did not, in fact, delete all of your partitions.

Do you want to recover a Windows install or do a whole new one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

At this point, with the fact that you only have a recovery CD and not a windows install CD your best bet is probably to do the following:

1) Back up ALL data, it will be long gone by the time we're done.

2) Run the Ubuntu Live CD

3) In a terminal type sudo gparted

4) Delete all partitions

5) Create one new NTFS partition using the whole drive (if it will let you, I dont know if gparted supports ntfs), if not you will have to use a partitioner that supports ntfs, your recovery disk may or may not have one.

6) Boot your recovery disk

7) Attempt to install to you ntfs partition

8a) If this works, install windows, boot your ubuntu live cd, double click install and partition your free space as desired.

8b) If your recovery cd can not partition the drive you will need to use the ubuntu live cd (or knoppix live dvd) to fix your mbr. Post here is that happens and I'll try to find the reference for doing so.

EDIT: You can try this if you have a problem with your mbr afterwards. No guarantees as I haven't done it myself. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27696
    Last edited by DGortze380; June 26th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    At this point, with the fact that you only have a recovery CD and not a windows install CD your best bet is probably to do the following:

1) Back up ALL data, it will be long gone by the time we're done.

2) Run the Ubuntu Live CD

3) In a terminal type sudo gparted

4) Delete all partitions

5) Create one new NTFS partition using the whole drive (if it will let you, I dont know if gparted supports ntfs), if not just shutdown after deleting your partitions.

6) Boot your recovery disk

7) Attempt to partition and install using the whole drive

8a) If this works, install windows, boot your ubuntu live cd, double click install and partition your free space as desired.

8b) If your recovery cd can not partition the drive you will need to use the ubuntu live cd (or knoppix live dvd) to fix your mbr. Post here is that happens and I'll try to find the reference for doing so.

EDIT: You can try this if you have a problem with your mbr afterwards. No guarantees as I haven't done it myself. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27696
    I think this is the best option. Installing Ubuntu after Windows is easier than installing Windows after Ubuntu.
    If you are a complete newbie like me, you can also use the new "Wubi" run process of installing Ubuntu inside Windows (available only from version 8.04 onward). That would relieve you from the drive partitioning hassle that most of us newbies face. Moreover, using the "Wubi" will make no new partition, rather install in a virtual partition inside the existing Windows partition.
    I'm not an expert yet. But just felt like saying something. Sorry if I said something wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by fidamehran View Post
    I think this is the best option. Installing Ubuntu after Windows is easier than installing Windows after Ubuntu.
    If you are a complete newbie like me, you can also use the new "Wubi" run process of installing Ubuntu inside Windows (available only from version 8.04 onward). That would relieve you from the drive partitioning hassle that most of us newbies face. Moreover, using the "Wubi" will make no new partition, rather install in a virtual partition inside the existing Windows partition.
    I'm not an expert yet. But just felt like saying something. Sorry if I said something wrong.
    You didn't say anything wrong

The facts are that it is most definitely easier to install Ubuntu after windows, but I think his concern is losing his current data on the windows drive... if that's not a problem - start from scratch! (windows first of course )
    Edwin Soto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by macness View Post
    You didn't say anything wrong

The facts are that it is most definitely easier to install Ubuntu after windows, but I think his concern is losing his current data on the windows drive... if that's not a problem - start from scratch! (windows first of course )
    See, I didn't think he had a current windows install, just single boot ubuntu... problem is he has a restore disk (as in cd/dvd), not a windows install disk.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast