Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boot problems with 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Boot problems with 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by aliusdragonfly View Post
    I have mounted as above, but when I navigate to /boot there is no /grub. There are the following:

abi-2.6.24-16-generic
    config-2.6.24-16-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic.bak
    vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic
    memtest86+.bin
    System.map-2.6.24-16-generic

no grub directory, no menu.lst.
    I don;t understand that, because when you ran 'find /boot...stage1' there was obviously a stage1 file in /boot/grub. well, if you're sure there's nothing there, then just do:

cd

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/sda1 /dev/sda

(or '/media/disk' if you just clicked on root to mount)

Beans

I have done so now, but it hasn't changed anything. And I don't understand why the find command is returning a location either. The new directory I made, /media/sda1, contains a /boot and a /grub of its own, with menu.lst ensuite, but the main /boot for the whole file system doesn't have a /grub.

Anyway, still staring at GRUB GRUB loading stage1.5. Is stage 1.5 important? I read somewhere that it might be possible to bypass it somehow.

thanks for your patience and help with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aliusdragonfly View Post
    I have done so now, but it hasn't changed anything. And I don't understand why the find command is returning a location either. The new directory I made, /media/sda1, contains a /boot and a /grub of its own, with menu.lst ensuite, but the main /boot for the whole file system doesn't have a /grub.

Anyway, still staring at GRUB GRUB loading stage1.5. Is stage 1.5 important? I read somewhere that it might be possible to bypass it somehow.
    Then it appears grub folder with files is still there....when you say 'main /boot' you must be looking in the one on the live cd (altogether different)

again, stage1 and/or the rest of the grub files may be corrupt...an educated guess at least. so try refresh as desribed above

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

was windows on the other drive?

Maybe grub is seeing the other drive as (hd0). Try switching the hard disk boot order in the BIOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12