Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My brother won't even try Ubuntu or even any linux...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: My brother won't even try Ubuntu or even any linux...

Quote Originally Posted by MONODA View Post
    I dont care what other people choose to use as an OS but many times people just say that linux is hard/sucks without even knowing or trying it. This ignorance is quite frustrating...
    Sadly, Most people are like that!

Beans
    Distro

You could suggest him a dual boot and ask him to try ubuntu once in a while .. if he likes it, he'll switch by himself ..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by speedwell68 View Post
    My Father was a complete anti Linux. But after him using my laptop a few times he has kinda warmed to it, the speed and smoothness impressed him. I then slowly converted him to the idea of open source and free software. Now he uses Firefox and Thunderbird exclusively. He was moaning that he couldn't publish PDFs and the Adobe software was going to cost a fortune. He was also complaining that his 8 year old version of MS Office was going to cost a fortune to upgrade. So I now have him using OpenOffice, he is publishing his PDFs and is grinning from ear to ear because he has an up to date Office suite that cost him nothing. When Windows Media Player was causing his PC to crawl, I introduced him to VLC. So I have slowly converted him to a new way of thinking. Today I have noticed that a CDR with Ubuntu 8.04 i686 written on it has appeared on his desk, he has decided to dual boot and give it a try. Linux is about changing peoples thinking.
    thts awesome!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MONODA View Post
    I dont care what other people choose to use as an OS but many times people just say that linux is hard/sucks without even knowing or trying it. This ignorance is quite frustrating...
    But, it is! Linux has come a long way in recent years though*, and Ubuntu is on the right track IMHO, but you still need a certain level of computing knowledge to get it to do what you want.

Ahhh, I had a point in there somewhere, but lost it...

* I was in awe at the Ubuntu installer - the **biggest** decision I had to make was what time zone I was in. Far cry from years ago, when I couldn't even get a display on my monitor!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Nice to see so many new faces on here!

You should never force an OS upon someone, let them decide for themself. I've been using Ubuntu from the beginning in one way or another and I have it running on my laptop atm, however my main desktop PC still runs on Windows XP. I haven't experienced any of the crashing/sluggishness/viruses that people talk about.

There's a place for both Windows and Linux, I think it comes down to how clued up you are, personally I haven't run a live anti virus/anti spyware program in years, I'm behind a hardware firewall and that + my common sense has kept me out of trouble.

Linux isn't as bad as some people make out and neither is Windows!

Beans

I agree, does it have to be one **or** the other? Can't we all just, err, hold hands and sing kumbaya or something, and just co-exist?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123