Thread: Create an Access point from USB Wifi Adaptor

Beans

Create an Access point from USB Wifi Adaptor

Hi! I bought a Siemens Gigaset USB Stick 54 today, hoping that I could connect my Wii to the internet. But I was wrong. Later, I read something about that you could make a USB Adaptor as the Gigaset USB Stick act like an Access Point. I spent three hours googling, until the word LINUX came to my mind.

I know this is possible in Ubuntu, but I've only found guides I don't understand. Is there an easy way to explain how to do this to a person that don't know much more in ubuntu than "sudo apt-get install"= I would really appreciate it.

Thanks. Stian.

Beans

Re: Create an Access point from USB Wifi Adaptor

No help on this one?

Beans

Create a network. Click the network manager icon (next to the volume control) and click "Create New Wireless Network". (Assuming you have the drivers installed...)
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

I have not installed any drivers.

My adapter is a Gigaset USB Stick 54 . I don't know what you mean with "next to the volume control". I am new to ubuntu, but I know what a GUI is, and I have very, very basic knowledge about the gnome-terminal

Beans

In the upper right hand corner, you will see an icon that looks like two computers, one in front of the other. When you click it, you will get a menu. Are there any options for wireless networking?
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.