Thread: [SOLVED] Samba file size issues after installing 8.04

Beans

Smile [SOLVED] Samba file size issues after installing 8.04

After 4 hours of googling and reading I give up..

I have a Ubunu server with my media on. My HTPC access this data using Samba. I just upgraded (with a clean install) from 6.10 to 8.04. The problem is that when I set up Samba again suddenly there seems to be a 4 GB file size limit when using the share. If a file is bigger than that the size is reported as smaller and I'm unable to use the file from any of the other computers in the network.

The file system on the disk is ext3 and the Samba version is Version 3.0.28a .

Any ideas?
    Last edited by 40.8utnubu; June 25th, 2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Issue solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Samba file size issues after installing 8.04

Did you have several posts on this before? Or am I thinking of someone else?

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Did you have several posts on this before? Or am I thinking of someone else?
    My first post ever regarding Linux. I'm one of them finding my answers using search engines and other ppl's problems.

..though I wish I found the posts you're thinking of.. Of course there are many posts regarding the 2 GB limit and file systems limits and when mounting shares on Ubuntu..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    I've only seen this on FAT32 file systems...
    Yes, I know.. I had that issue a couple of years ago when I first tried a setup like that.

Thanks for the suggestions..just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.. Can't understand what can be so different from yesterday when I ran on 6.10. It's like "Didn't I use samba? Have I forgot about some problems I had the last time I set it up? Why didn't I keep the old data as reference?" ..

Beans

Seems to work fine for me.
    samba 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2
    I created a 4.2 GB file
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024 count=4404020
    copied it with a Windows XP client. I had a 4.2 GB copy. What kind of clients have you tried? Is the file the correct size locally, but the incorrect size when accessed remotely through samba?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    Seems to work fine for me.
    samba 3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.2
    I created a 4.2 GB file
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=test.dat bs=1024 count=4404020
    copied it with a Windows XP client. I had a 4.2 GB copy. What kind of clients have you tried? Is the file the correct size locally, but the incorrect size when accessed remotely through samba?
    I did as you did, and the sizes (in bytes) are:
    • According to ls: 4,509,716,480
    • Seen from Vista: 214,749,184
    • After copied to Vista: 216,006,656

The only 'client' I have tried is Explorer in both Vista and XP. And I know for a fact that this is not how it used to be.

As far as I can see after having looked at files ranging from 0 bytes to past 8 GB is that the size I get is modulus 4 GB of the real size.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by 40.8utnubu View Post
    My first post ever regarding Linux. I'm one of them finding my answers using search engines and other ppl's problems.

..though I wish I found the posts you're thinking of.. Of course there are many posts regarding the 2 GB limit and file systems limits and when mounting shares on Ubuntu..
    Seems like we had this question a few times in the last few weeks. I'll see if I can locate the threads.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Seems like there's a problem with the partition table of the disk in question. I'll get back to you when I've checked it out.

Beans

OMG...I've used countless hours on this one.. and I finally found out what was wrong.. there was indeed something wrong with the partition table of the disk, but that wasn't the reason! The reason was that when I set up samba this time I used this one:
    Code:
    protocol = LANMAN2
    The moment I remove it the filesizes are correct.. I haven't found the docs that describes LANMAN2, but then again I don't care that much any longer.. At least I hope that someone else can have use of this thread..