Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stargate

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Stargate

Tell us about it... ...as in:

What do you like/dislike about anything-Stargate and why?

For the Stargate fans, what are some favorite moments/topics/etc. in anything-Stargate and what do you hope to see from Stargate (anything) in the future?

Stargate (1994 movie)
    Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 tv series)
    Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008 dvd movie)
    Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)
    Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009 tv series)
    Stargate Universe (2009-2011 tv series)

{...potential future Stargate movies and/or series...}

Anything-Stargate... movies, tv shows, soundtracks, animations/cartoons, novels, comics, computer games, rpg games, comic-cons/conventions, references from other media/shows, etc.
    Last edited by Th3Professor; November 30th, 2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Updated the comment on "Stargate Universe". Updated air dates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Stargate

Wormhole X-treme is waaaay too close to the actual thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimientito
    NEVER EVER give a gypsy player an unprotected guitar to play. It will end in tears!

Beans

For the Stargate fans, what are some favorite moments/topics/etc. in anything-Stargate and what do you hope to see from Stargate (anything) in the future?

Furlings !!!

Some of my favorite moments from each series/movie:

When we first saw Ra, that dude looked awesome.

I liked the Doci (from the Ori) and that firewall he was talking to.

I also like it when Daniel (as an ancient) was going to stop Anubis, but then Oma stopped him. And the Jaffa said to Anubis "you really are a god or something like that.

The episode 2010 was awesome.

I liked how they introduced Vala (wearing the super soldier armor).

The episode "Unending" and the one where all the Asgards were killed off were sublime.

The entire Ori story kicked ***.

The replicator saga was also very good, I especially like how replicator Carter and Danial Jackson had a mental war, and he managed to stop the replicators attack just long enough to tip the scale to the Tauri and Jaffa side.

The episode where they went to hell (forgot the name, Aphopis was there too) was sublime.

The one where Carter blew up the son, and SG1 and Jacob got blasted to another Galaxy together with the Apophis super ship.

Another great one was with Danial Jacksons grand father, who everybody thought was crazy, and the giants (crystal skull).

The ep "The fifth race" also rocked.

But there are to many to mention.

I was bummed out a bit when they stopped that stargate game, they even have ads fir ut on the dvd's I have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

They cast some very pretty women. There are big spaceships and lots of explosions. What more do you need?

Oh, and some of the women they cast are very pretty, did I already mention that?
    READ THIS Don't run any commands without understanding what they do, unless they are from a reliable source and have been confirmed by other experts. Serious damage can result from following malicious "advice".

Beans
    Hidden!

I liked the movie. The show was ok but kind of cheesy. I did like Atlantis though because it made slightly more logical sense, they were trapped. Off topic, but that's the same reason I liked Star Trek Voyager over all the rest of the versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What do you like/dislike about anything-Stargate and why?

I like all of them, though to how much varies... if I were to rate 1 to 10, 1 sucky and 10 awesome...

10 = Stargate (1994 movie)
    10 = Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 tv series)
    8 or 9 = Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008 dvd movie)
    N/A (not out yet) = Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)
    6 or 7 with a couple 8 or 9 moments = Stargate Atlantis (2004-present tv series)
    N/A yet = Stargate Universe (tv series (pre-production))
    N/A yet = Stargate 2 & 3 (potential sequels to 1994 movie)

Soundtracks... 7 or 8 for the more popular themes, about 2 or 3 for the horrendous MIDI/synth snippets of music snuck into the episodes.

Animation... don't know. Games... don't know.

The fact that they do a good job of mixing in funny and serious plot lines (in SG-1) makes it a more enjoyable show. The stories, in general, from the original movie to SG-1, are pretty neat. The characters have become iconic.

In the future... well, we're looking forward to the release of "Stargate: Continuum". We saw "Ark of Truth" in an unfinished stage, prior to visual effects being added (they were still editing it), so we didn't really see the finished product... not yet. Continuum looks like a slight return to the more traditional SG-1 style of story-telling.

I'm really curious about the new tv series, SG Universe. They're saying that they are waiting for the Atlantis tv series to end before doing "SGU"... something about not wanting to do 40+ hours of tv in one year (each tv series being about 20+ hours of tv shows per year), kind of like simultaneous run with the end of SG1 and beginning of SGA. I think that's a good idea. Simultaneous sg1 sga was overkill and, personally, I think it gave Atlantis a rough start. Anyway, the premise of SGU is pretty neat, though I hope they still maintain the direct connection to Earth (like SG1).

There are internet rumors about a Stargate 2 & 3 (sequels to the 1994 movie), though I'm doubting that will ever happen. If it does, though, that will be very cool.

The tv shows, though, in general seem to fit in a groove or pattern of just how successful they've been, which leads me to guess SGU's success...

SG1 = very successful
    SGA = a mix (some great, some bad)
    SGU = very successful (guessing the success)

It feels like SGA is the "glue" between SG1 and SGU in more ways than it simply being the series that happened in between them... but almost like a series that perhaps didn't seem to amount to much more than "sticky stuff". Though it's admittedly sticky stuff, and yet there's no rushing to wash it off, we still watch SGA, can't help it... big fans of all-things Stargate. There are a few elements to Atlantis that are very special, though it isn't nearly as good as SG-1 & the original movie. Although the original movie has some distinct differences with sg1, it's forever associated with it. SGA seems to be forever associated with sg1, not so much with the movie. Though, SGU will probably be like that too. Who knows... we shall see.

I do believe that the "Universe" series will be a step up from SGA. Using the 9th chevron? Lots of possibilities there. (7 for the local galaxy, 8 for another galaxy, supposedly 9 for the Ancient's ship potentially farther out in space. They say there will be 2 Ancient ships (for their gate disbursing experiment), one for an automated seeding of planets with stargates across the galaxies, another to follow behind and explore the newly made gate-accessible worlds). So, it sounds like a lot of space activity and other-world activity... not much Earth, which I still hope they keep in the story.

EDIT:
    re: SGU... the producers are talking like it's a present-day thing. It just happens to use the ships of the Ancients, which they abandoned to ascend. I'll venture a guess that Earth will discover one or both of the Ancient ships, via gate coordinates +1, like with discovering and traveling to Atlantis... only it's more like gate address +1+1. (aka the 9 chevs) lol If it takes a lot of power to travel with 8 chevs, I wonder what it'll take to travel with 9!
    Last edited by Th3Professor; July 7th, 2008 at 07:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

All.. all.. I like them all! A lot!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What might be some of the things about any of them that really stand out?

Any particular story arc in SG1 that ya think is totally cool?

(...I'm currently having an SG1 marathon, so I'm admittedly playing favorites with that one at the moment...)

Beans

Id call myself a fan, whats not to like about interplanetary sci fi with Mcgyver!?! They even had the lovely..er.. Romi?..around for a bit!. The Final 'movie' however sucked b***s, stick to running around the Canadian wilderness with a p90!
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Helios1276 View Post
    Id call myself a fan, whats not to like about interplanetary sci fi with Mcgyver!?! They even had the lovely..er.. Romi?..around for a bit!. The Final 'movie' however sucked b***s, stick to running around the Canadian wilderness with a p90!
    romi?

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast