Thread: Desktop often displays no icons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Desktop often displays no icons?

I've had this problem for a while now. Sometimes when I log in the desktop icons are visible, sometimes they're not, it seems to be random. There are absolutely no icons, not even for volumes etc.. Anyone know what might be causing this, I think I used to get this on a previous Ubuntu very occasionally, but it seems to be happening most of the time on Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Desktop often displays no icons?

Go to the terminal and type
    gconf-editor
    This will open the Gnome Configuration Editor (something similar to Regedit from Windows). Click on apps, find nautilus in the list and in there desktop. In there you can choose if you want your icons to show up in your desktop, maybe this is the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nope, isn't the problem, the problem I'm having is occasionally no icons are showing on the desktop at all, and the right-click menu doesn't work.

Beans

Hi, I have the same problem! When i boot up i can see the drive icons in my desktop. When first click on desktop everything disappear and the right click does not work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

anyone. BUMP!
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List