Thread: Dell XPS M1330 and Vista - (Refund)

Beans

Question Dell XPS M1330 and Vista - (Refund)

Hi guys,

Im strongly concidering in buying a new laptop. If I buy it with Vista I get the following extra features which I have heard all work with ubuntu.

• Finger print scanner
    • Bluetooth
    • Bluetooth headset
    • Remote control

I believe you get Creative in-ear head phones as well. The price difference is £60. My question is, can you, and has anyone, return a copy of Vista to Dell and got a refund. If you have can you tell me how you did it and how much you got back? The guy im dealing with at deal says I cant have no OS installed on the laptop, unless I buy the Ubuntu version but I lose some of the features.

Any thoughts or information?

Also, how is your M1330 and is a 13.3" screen good enough for everyday use (as oppose to a 15.4")?

Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dell XPS M1330 and Vista - (Refund)

You don't need to return the installation media, just refuse the EULA at first boot.

More info in this story which was on Xp, but I believe the refund conditions are the same for Vista.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Same with Vista. From the Vista EULA

By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not
    use the software. Instead, return it to the retailer for a refund or credit. If you
    cannot obtain a refund there, contact Microsoft or the Microsoft affiliate serving your country for
    information about Microsoft’s refund policies. See www.microsoft.com/worldwide. In the
    United States and Canada, call (800) MICROSOFT or see www.microsoft.com/info/nareturns.htm.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

Thanks for your replies!

It doesnt seem as easy as I thought it would be, even though it clear states in the EULA.

I dont get why the Ubuntu version gets a less feature rich laptop anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Microsoft wont ever make it easy to get a refund I am afraid. As for the differential in price between Dell Linux and Dell Windows, Dell gets inducments from a variety of suppliers of software to allow them to install that software onto Dell machines. I am not sure, but Linux wont provide as much in that respect, if anything.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fatality_uk View Post
    Microsoft wont ever make it easy to get a refund I am afraid. As for the differential in price between Dell Linux and Dell Windows, Dell gets inducments from a variety of suppliers of software to allow them to install that software onto Dell machines. I am not sure, but Linux wont provide as much in that respect, if anything.
    It _could_, a la trialware of things like CrossOver and other commercial (closed-source, usually) Linux apps.
    This APT has Super Cow Powers.

Beans

Because Dell and the like get money for loading Windows laptops with a busload of trialware that do nothing but bog down the systems.

The discount is by way of reparation for the pains it will take you to remove all that crap, some of which will not go away quietly. Or on the off-chance that you actually buy one of those.

Beans

Because Dell and the like get money for loading Windows laptops with a busload of trialware that do nothing but bog down the systems.

The discount is by way of reparation for the pains it will take you to remove all that crap, some of which will not go away quietly. Or on the off-chance that you actually buy one of those.