Thread: Suggest program to get ID3 info for current library

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[Solved] Suggest program to get ID3 info for current library

cariboo907 recommended the perfect program: Picard. If you have any more suggestions, feel free to post them.

Here's My Situation:
    Like most people, over the past 8 years or so, I've collected my MP3 from many different sources. Some files are from P2P, some are from ripped discs, and still others are from friends' computers. Because of all these different sources, all my music (around 3.5k songs) all have various quality of information in their ID3 tags. For the most part, all songs have a correct title and artists (and album for those that are part of a complete album), all the other information is questionable

What I Want:
    I want a program that will go through all my music (album by album, then the various singles I have) and grab the correct ID3 tags from the internet and update the file. It doesn't have to rename/organize any of them, as I'll just have Amarok do that when I import them all back into my music folder. I don't care if I have to spend several hours confirming the information is correct while it searches (as it would be less than manually updating it myself). I just want all my music to have CORRECT information.

What I've Tried:
    EasyTAG and Kid3. Neither of which I could get working real well, if any of you think those should work for me, I'll start digging through their documentation...

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by atlanta800; June 27th, 2008 at 07:29 AM.

Beans

Re: Suggest program to get ID3 info for current library

I use xfalso to tag but I don't think it can get tag info from the internet. I think you should look to one of the integrated players to do this. Possibly Songbird, Amarok, Banshee, or Rythmbox. You will have to do some researching to see which has a plugin to do this. If all else fails you can run foobar in Wine but I would only do that as a last resort.

Report back when you find something that works for you.

Beans
    Distro

I couldn't find any info about xfalso. I've scoured amarok scripts, couldn't find anything close for the other apps. I'm still not having any luck with EasyTAG and Kid3. Could someone PLEASE help me? This is driving me nuts, my library is so messy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You might want to give picard a try, get info about it here:

http://musicbrainz.org/

Picard is in the repositories and you can use Synaptic or Add/Remove Programs to install it.

Jim

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    You might want to give picard a try, get info about it here:

http://musicbrainz.org/

Picard is in the repositories and you can use Synaptic or Add/Remove Programs to install it.

Jim
    Wow, downloaded Picard from the repositories after checking out its description. It's pretty much exactly what I want. It's gonna take me a good couple hours total to go through all my music, but that was expected. Thank VERY much cariboo907. That's just what I needed.

If anyone else would like to make suggestions, they are still welcome, but as of now I recommend Picard to anyone else who had the problem as me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

... to bad Media Monkey isn't available for Linux. That program honestly works magic. I had about a thousand or so songs with ID3 Tags completely messed up and Media Monkey fixed them all , and added album art!

Anyhow Songbird might be worth a shot .... it might not .. I'm just promoting that program.