Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

Beans
    Hidden!

Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

135 Linux Kernel developers and the Linux Foundation have signed a statement condemning closed-source, binary-only drivers like the one from NVIDIA.

Developers blame Nvidia for hindering Linux desktop adoption

System76 sells both of their 15.4" laptops (Serval Performance and Pangolin Performance) with NVIDIA as the only option, and offers only NVIDIA discrete cards for desktops. I urge you to join the boycott of NVIDIA and sell AMD/ATI graphics cards instead.

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

James Bottomley, the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair and SCSI Maintainer, had this to say about NVIDIA's binary blobs:
    Since most experienced Linux users know either to pick Intel or to carefully research their choice of graphics card, most of the reported oopses are coming from less experienced or even novice Linux users. The problem here is that these people quickly get frustrated with the problems which they will ascribe to Linux in general, not the problem binary driver in particular. Even worse, they may report the problem to a Linux forum only to be told that it's a binary driver issue and can't be fixed, thus leaving the reporter with few options to try a working Linux system beyond an expensive graphics hardware replacement. These users aren't likely to continue their experiment with Linux; nor will they recommend it to their friends. In fact, they're probably turned off Linux for a considerable period (if not for life). This last is an illustration of the active harm binary modules do to the Linux ecosystem: Linux gets classified as unusable because of a problem in a binary module which no open source developer can fix.
    By using NVIDIA only, you are making Linux look bad and doing your customers (especially those who don't know better than to buy NVIDIA) a great disservice. I'm the happy owner of a Pangolin Value with Intel graphics running 100% FOSS drivers, but as System76 is currently offering only NVIDIA on your 15" laptop models, I would not recommend buying from you.

BTW: If System76 is shipping Linux bundled with NVIDIA's binary-only drivers, they are violating the GPL and copyright law.
    Last edited by DRM_free; July 8th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

Cept Ati usually bites on linux. Ever think that perhaps it's the only option for *nix resellers because umm it's the only option?
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oops. Too late. I already have a computer with nVidia hardware.

So, should I use the proprietary drivers (which work great) or the open source driver? Does anyone have any direct experience with the new nVidia driver for Ununtu? Especially on the Serp2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I agree but keep in mind that Intel is also being sued by AMD and investigated for breaking monopoly laws, so System76 would also have to get AMD processors. I currently have an AMD 64 which is a huge pain to get to work with a lot of stuff in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

If it works, I'm gonna use it.

I hate ATI and AMD.

I run an Intel Core 2 Duo and Nvidia and it works great!

Why should I use the free driver if the one that works well with my system is proprietary?

So what?

My laptop is a business office, recording studio, entertainment device, constant companion and communications center while I am away from home. If it works, I use it.

When I watch a movie on my laptop, I want it to look good. That's why I bought Nvidia, and I'll buy Nvidia again.

Free is OK if you want to make a statement, but the average user will have a mix or FOSS and close software so they can get some work done.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah. And Vonage was sued for patent violations for the basis of their VoIP technology. People where saying that they were going to be sued out of existence ... and instead, they paid the settlement ordered by the court, and now they are bigger and healthier than ever.

Somehow, these things sort themselves out --- with, or without legal intervention. Usually, market forces dominate.

And remember the same kind of patent violation lawsuit involving RiM and the Blackberry. If RiM goes out of business, it will probably be due to market pressure from devices like the iPhone.
    Last edited by asmiller-ke6seh; June 25th, 2008 at 04:01 AM.

Beans

I use Intel GMA

Not that the drivers are perfect, but hey, CF runs by default on a live CD!!
    Last edited by RSingh; June 25th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    My Blog
    Procyon >> Dell Studio 1535 Laptop | Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0 GHz | Intel 965PM | 2GB RAM DDR2 | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 256MB | HDD: 250GB | Fedora 11 |
    In Windows, Its easier said than done but in Linux, Its already done...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nvidia is the best for Linux imo, open source is great for software, not so great for device drivers; when open source drivers work, they don't work as well as closed drivers.

I not only won't be boycotting Nvidia, but encourage them to continue their excellent support of the Linux community. Richard Stallman is a cool cat, but he's an idealist and this world is not yet ready for his utopia.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

BTW: If System76 is shipping Linux bundled with NVIDIA's binary-only drivers, they are violating the GPL and copyright law.
    I'm no lawyer, but that just doesn't even sound right, even Dell ships the 1420n with the Nvidia Binary drivers pre-installed.

Further, I'm not sure what your intention is, but so far it sounds like you want the one company with decent drivers to go away... why would one want that? I don't usually like being rude, but to be honest you are almost coming off anti-linux by advising people to use the worst supported hardware, and then start talking legalese against those that would make an oem installed linux computer work to the expectation of the consumer.

I think a closed mind in the open source community is a very bad thing indeed.

Beans

Hello,

I'm a System76 customer. I follow this forum, but don't post often; however, this post caught my eye and I wanted to throw in my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    Nvidia is the best for Linux imo, open source is great for software, not so great for device drivers; when open source drivers work, they don't work as well as closed drivers.

I not only won't be boycotting Nvidia, but encourage them to continue their excellent support of the Linux community. Richard Stallman is a cool cat, but he's an idealist and this world is not yet ready for his utopia.
    Let's not forget too quickly what the idealists have given us. Your argument works okay in the short term, but as long as Linux relies on closed source drivers for important functionality it will only be able to function as well as an external corporation deems desirable. I wonder where we would be if the early Linux desktop people had said, "Why should I spend my resources working on Gnome/KDE/OpenOffice/...? Microsoft already has excellent support for the desktop experience!"

The point is: Truly free alternatives might start out inferior, but because anyone can contribute, they can eventually surpass their proprietary rivals. We need to get this going in the world of drivers, and I believe this is what DRM_free is advocating.

I would argue that what is needed is OPEN DOCUMENTATION for these devices. Open Source drivers are great, but nothing beats a complete description of how a device works. Then we can write our own software! Open Source device drivers now (the ones you don't like, Starcannon) are often the product of reverse engineering or poor documentation...

I have written to various hardware manufacturers explaining my preference for hardware that is Open Source friendly. You should too - it's easy, and it can make a big difference in the long run.

Dave.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast