Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

Beans

Re: Boycott NVIDIA, use AMD/ATI discrete graphics or Intel

Quote Originally Posted by BryanMarley View Post
    I dont really know why you make such a problem of the fact that other people have other wants and needs? why should we boycott nVidia? i always bought nvidia gfx cards and intel proccesors because of the fact that they work 100% without burning out.
    I'm interested to hear about this bubbling controversy about how nvidia supposedly shipped gobs of defective product. Seems to be a few companies in this country whose management just tries to float on their cash-cow success without investing enough back into their product's R&D and QC or, heaven forbid, CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

This could all be moot in a few years if the PC hardware industry migrates away from discrete graphics processors as I've been reading about on Ars Technica. Interesting stuff.

Beans

I installed Ubuntu a few weeks ago on my 2 year old AMD/ATI laptop. The default graphics drivers would not allow me to run the Nintendo 64 emulator, or indeed anything involving 3D acceleration. I then installed the proprietary drivers for my Express 200M, but this hasn't improved the situation at all. Still no 3D.

I am now thinking of getting a new laptop. I would like to run the Compiz-Fusion desktop effects, and play 3D accelerated games. I'd want one 13.3" or smaller so I'll either buy a Dell XPS M1330 with Nvidia 8400M GS, or System 76 Darter Ultra with Intel x4500HD. Right now I'm leaning towards the Dell. (no nvidia offered on the darter!)

For me, it doesn't matter much that Nvidia doesn't offer open source drivers. I'm probably never going to want to transfer my graphics card to another computer or OS, and since I tend to buy a new system every 2-3 years, long-term support isn't an issue. I just want things to work, preferably out of box!

Beans

Newer nvidia cards suck.

From 8xxx cards onwards nvidia don't and seemingly have no plans to provide any video decoding acceleration in their drivers. So I cant watch any 720p videos without jerkiness and shuddering as my CPU alone is not quite fast enough (Athlon X2 3800). I now regret buying a 8800GT for my PC last year as I now have to boot into windows to watch 720p video on my TV.

That for me is enough reason to avoid Nvidia

The performance with compiz also has left a lot to be desired and only now after over a year of useless driver updates are these cards beginning to perform more like they should be capable of.

My next card will be an AMD one, at least they are moving in the right direction when it comes to supporting Linux properly.

Beans

Do AMD/ATI even make discrete graphics for laptops? I know AMD's 4800 series of cards for the desktop are awesome, but I'm not buying a desktop. I'm very reluctant to buy a laptop with AMD integrated graphics, because I'm using one right now and the drivers stink.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Modax42 View Post
    Do AMD/ATI even make discrete graphics for laptops?
    Laptop with dedicated card
    Laptop with IGP

These are, of course, just examples(rather expensive examples, I might add).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567