Thread: Key mapping problem after restart

Beans

Key mapping problem after restart

Hello all,

I am having a problem with my Ubuntu 8.04 installation with respect to keys doing strange things.

For example / turns into é and ? turns into É

If I go into the keyboard settings, and change the layout between any of the Generic 101,102,104,105 key layouts the keyboard works fine.

I'm using a plain old Microsoft Basic Keyboard 1.0A plugged into a PS2 port.

After I restart it shows the same keyboard layout, but the mapping goes all weird. Once I select another layout it works fine.
    I'm using a standard USA layout as well.

Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Key mapping problem after restart

use xkeycaps to remap the keys:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xkeycaps
    xkeycaps
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

You could also try to reconfigure your xorg file for your keyboard problem:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thanks for the help guys, I couldn't find my keyboard using the xkeycaps program (when I chose one the key pressed never corresponded with the onscreen keyboard, 99% sure this was something I did wrong though, this program seems to have just about every layout under the sun!)

Reconfiguring xorg seems to work great. They take you through things step by step and provide suggestions along the way.