Thread: how to use sshfs with a user & password on command line? how to add sshfs to fstab?

Beans
    Hidden!

Question how to use sshfs with a user & password on command line? how to add sshfs to fstab?

I am following this how-to for using a secure encrypted remote volume

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecureEncryp...oteVolumeHowTo

it gives an example of

sshfs your-ssh-username@your-web-host.com:remote-directory ~/.remote-secure-volume

my remote ssh host requires a username and password so i'm not sure how to tailor this example to include that all at the command line

i would also like to be able to add this sshfs to /etc/fstab if possible so i dont have to mount it manually when using it. how to do i do that ?

one final question about this secure encrypted remote volume. in the url listed above, it has the following two command line lines for use:

sshfs your-ssh-username@your-web-host.com:remote-directory ~/.remote-secure-volume
    encfs ~/.remote-secure-volume $HOME/remote-encrypted-volume

after executing those two commands do i simply use nautilus (or terminal) to save files remotely encrypting on the fly to the ~/remote-encrypted-volume ? the reason it confuses me is i am unsure why i had to create the hidden ~/.remote-secure-volume directory and if i would ever user that directory in practice or if i should just execute both and only use ~/remote-encrypted-volume for what i wish to do (backup files securely and remotely through ssh, preferably encrypted)

thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to use sshfs with a user & password on command line? how to add sshfs to fst

i'm not sure how to tailor this example to include that all at the command line
    You can pass user and password on the command line as an option. The "simple" way to do this, is including

-o username=user,password=pass

A more secure, recommended way to do this is to use a credential file. This is a plain text file, stored in a secure directory only readable by yourself. It contains nothing more than

username=yourusername
    password=youpass

chmod it to 600 so that it is only readable by yourself (and root).

Suppose the file is $HOME/.credentials
    then you use the file on the command line like:
    ($HOME stands for your home directory and can be typed as such at the command line: it will be "expanded" automatically).

Code:
    sshfs -o credentials=$HOME/.credentials your-ssh-username@your-web-host.com:remote-directory ~/.remote-secure-volume

In /etc/fstab, your line will look like

Code:
    sshfs#user@server.domain.com:/<your default dir> <mount point> fuse credentials=<path to .credentials>.credentials 0 0
    (you cannot use the $HOME variable, but you need to spell out the full path yourself).

I am not sure about the "encrypt" part: probably you will need to issue this command manually before the transaction, or have it placed in a script.

Beans

Re: how to use sshfs with a user & password on command line? how to add sshfs to fst

This post looked like precisely what I needed but unfortunately I get a FUSE error:

Code:
    ubundom@localpc:~$ /usr/bin/sshfs -o credentials=$HOME/.creds ubundom@server01:/home/ubundom ~/data/server
    ubundom@server01's password:
    fuse: unknown option `credentials=/home/ubundom/.creds'
    ubundom@localpc:~$
    I wasn't expecting the password to be prompted, my .creds file contains:

username=ubundom
    password=mypassword

Shall I try:

Code:
    /usr/bin/sshfs -o credentials=$HOME/.creds ubundom@server01:/home/ubundom ~/data/server < .creds
    conFUSEd:

How to mount remote SSH filesystem automatically

A new guide to configure better the client and the server:
    http://wiki.lapipaplena.org/index.ph..._SFTP_accesses

(with special care with owners and permissions questions)
    Narcis Garcia