Thread: Tutorial on installing and building software

Beans

Question Tutorial on installing and building software

Hi guys. I'm looking for tutorial on how to install/remove/upgrade and build software from source on the command line.
    I'm familiar with the shell (bash cshl kshl whatever) as I've used System V and I've also played with *nix in general. I've used make files under windows, but I'm a bit rusty and I'm not familiar with the different package files (.run or whatever it is).
    I would appreciate if you can point me in the right direction. I would also appreciate if you point me to Ubuntu specific tutorial that goes over on the specific areas of Ubuntu that differ from other distros.

Much obliged .

V.

Beans

Re: Tutorial on installing and building software

Quote Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
    Hi guys. I'm looking for tutorial on how to install/remove/upgrade and build software from source on the command line.
    I'm familiar with the shell (bash cshl kshl whatever) as I've used System V and I've also played with *nix in general. I've used make files under windows, but I'm a bit rusty and I'm not familiar with the different package files (.run or whatever it is).
    I would appreciate if you can point me in the right direction. I would also appreciate if you point me to Ubuntu specific tutorial that goes over on the specific areas of Ubuntu that differ from other distros.

Much obliged .

V.
    It depends on how you get the source. You'll need the building tools (build-essential) at the very least.

All source packages have guides in them, with instructions, so you can always follow them.

Typically, it is a simple process.

Source is typically in a tarball, a .tar.gz archive. You have to extract it:

Code:
    tar -xvvzf foo.tar.gz
    After extracting, you navigate into the directory:
    Code:
    cd foo
    Next, you configure it (normally, you don't have to do anything)
    Code:
    ./configure
    Make it:
    Code:
    make
    Install:
    Code:
    make install
    As said before, source packages come with instructions.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would reccomend checkinstall instead of make install. checkinstall creates a .deb package which you caqn remove later with dpkg -r.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

Thanks for the help. That makes sense. I found some pretty good
    tutorial and I'm reading my way through those.

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    It depends on how you get the source. You'll need the building tools (build-essential) at the very least.
    I'll be writing it. The one of the other two guys that was working on this project with me was doing all the compiling and building and stuff, now I'll have to learn.

We used Qt on Suse (as far as I can remember) and the app ran fine with KDE. Now I'm re-writing the back end.

How about creating an installable package ?? Does anyone know what should I use to create a package that can be easy for the user to install ?