Thread: Reinstall Hardy?

Beans

Reinstall Hardy?

I've had several problems, really of my own making, in the last few days while migrating to Hardy. I would like to redo the upgrade. Is there a convenient way that I can get the packages that are gone reinstalled and others that I have installed, uninstalled? Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Reinstall Hardy?

Unfortuantely there is no viable way to do this short of manually downgrading every upgraded package, then chaging your software sources. I don't suggest doing that, my suggestion would be to backup your /home directory and do a clean install if the problems are the cumbersome.
    System76 Gazelle Professional (GazP6)
    Intel Core i7 2820QM, 8GB DDR3, nvidia GTX 460m, OCZ Vertex 3
    System76 Starling (star4) Netbook.
    Get Dropbox!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Better download a HH image and burn it to the cd.
    what is beautiful is not always good, but what is good is always beautiful!
    When I'm right no one remembers..When I'm wrong no one forgets..

Beans

Yes, I may try and burn a CD. I am a little surprised that reinstalling isn't more readily available though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilo View Post
    Yes, I may try and burn a CD. I am a little surprised that reinstalling isn't more readily available though.
    How more readily avalible would you want it? Even if there were a tool that would reinstall without having to burn a cd, you would still lose all your data and download 600 mbs + of data.
    System76 Gazelle Professional (GazP6)
    Intel Core i7 2820QM, 8GB DDR3, nvidia GTX 460m, OCZ Vertex 3
    System76 Starling (star4) Netbook.
    Get Dropbox!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macaholic View Post
    How more readily avalible would you want it? Even if there were a tool that would reinstall without having to burn a cd, you would still lose all your data and download 600 mbs + of data.
    Well even ******* programs have a process where the program is reinstalled, ignoring the parts that agree with the program's requirements and correcting those that don't. I upgraded over the web from Dapper to Hardy with no problem but some things got wrecked by my own actions in trying to solve some problems with Flash and FF3. Reverting to how things were after I 1st upgraded wouldn't be perfect but better than they are now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilo View Post
    Well even ******* programs have a process where the program is reinstalled, ignoring the parts that agree with the program's requirements and correcting those that don't. I upgraded over the web from Dapper to Hardy with no problem but some things got wrecked by my own actions in trying to solve some problems with Flash and FF3. Reverting to how things were after I 1st upgraded wouldn't be perfect but better than they are now.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install packagename --reinstall
    would reinstall individual packages ("programs").
    if you want to reinstall a bunch of them... you'd have to get a list of packages you want to reinstall, then feed them to apt-get, and it will reinstall all of them.
    Last edited by nanotube; July 4th, 2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: correct apt command line

Beans

I'm sorry to say so but the best and easiest thing to do is a fresh install. Of course you'll want to back up anything you don't want to lose.