Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest 7.10 kernel update broke vmware

Beans

Re: Latest 7.10 kernel update broke vmware

Quote Originally Posted by josir View Post
    But... vmware is a closed application and I think Canonical and other developers are "priorizing" their efforts on open source apps like kvm and virtualbox.
    The kernel upgrade broke VirtualBox, too.

Lasse

Beans

Anyone found a solution to this issue yet?

-Spliner

Beans

I had the same problem but this fixed it
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36849

Beans

The above mentioned thread fix gives this solution, I get an error on the install since it tries to run vmware-server, I think I can ignore it though. Where would one normally point this part to "KPKG_DEST_DIR=<where the deb package should go>"?

Or does anyone have an example of the exact commands they used?

sudo apt-get install vmware-server-kernel-source
    cd <temp dir>
    tar xvjf /usr/src/vmware-server.tar.bz2
    cd modules/vmware-server-kernel/
    export KPKG_DEST_DIR=<where the deb package should go> # otherwise fakeroot won't work
    export KVERS=`uname -r`
    fakeroot debian/rules binary-modules
    sudo dpkg -i $KPKG_DEST_DIR/vmware-server-kernel-modules-`uname -r`*.deb
    cd -
    rm -r modules
    sudo /etc/init.d/vmware-server restart
    Last edited by doug-M; June 28th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doug-M View Post
    For anyone else that might hit this thread. After upgrading from Kernel 2.6.22-14 to 2.6.22-15 the symptoms I saw were:

Trying to start or restore a virtual machine gave the error:
    Code:
    Unable to change virtual machine power state:
    The process exited with an error: End of error message.
    Trying to reinstall vmware-server gave:
    Code:
    E: vmware-server: 
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    In the details:
    Code:
    Starting VMware services:
       Virtual machine monitor                                            failed
       Virtual ethernet                                                   failed
    Module vmnet is not loaded.  Please verify that it is loaded before
    running this script.
    Thats exactly the messages that i have. Im kinda glad that im not the only one with this problem. But i just discovered it today. Did anybody body solved it yet? i really need to get back to use those virtual machines

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the link zimjim, that fixed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doug-M View Post
    The above mentioned thread fix gives this solution, I get an error on the install since it tries to run vmware-server, I think I can ignore it though. Where would one normally point this part to "KPKG_DEST_DIR=<where the deb package should go>"?
    doug-M, I used /tmp for both <temp dir> and KPKG_DEST_DIR

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Latest 7.10 kernel update broke vmware

Quote Originally Posted by zimjim View Post
    I had the same problem but this fixed it
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36849
    It worked perfectly. Thanks zimjim.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In my experience, a kernel update always breaks vmware server. I run three different vmware hosts, and each time updates are sent down, I sift through them looking to see if there's a kernel update. If there is, I do this before I run the update:
    Code:
    uname -a > correctKernel
    so that I can remember which kernel I know works (since the virtual machines are running at that point). Then I change /boot/grub/menu.lst so that it continues to use the same kernel after the machine is updated. Note that I assume that the new kernel won't work, because I have yet to see a new one that does.

For the machine I'm on right now, the correct kernel is
    Code:
    Linux raptor 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Tue Feb 12 05:41:34 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    I've been using this one for a long time. I went through a lot of hassle to get it to work with this kernel. But that's another story. It's funny, too, that of the three servers, each has a different "correct" kernel. The other two are:
    Code:
    Linux lancer   2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 07:42:25 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
    Linux cadillac 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Ubuntu seems to be sending kernel updates down once a week these days, so it is quite a hassle to keep up with. I'm hearing "Maybe we should use windows to host our virtual machines instead -- it would seem to be much more stable." At this point it's hard to disagree.
    Last edited by davidshere; July 2nd, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added other two "correct" kernels

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The solution on launchpad worked great after working through some local stuff. I added my notes to launchpad in case someone else can benefit. Here's a copy

This worked great after working through some dependencies (Gutsy).

I already had build-essential installed, but also needed kernel-devel. Without kernel-devel the make command executed by the debian/rules file would fail while trying to install (make: **[binary-modules] Error 1). I assume something similar would happen without build-essential.

Also found I had to replace every instance of 'uname -r' in the instructions provided by pure_ascii with the output of that command. When I run uname -r at my command line I get this: 2.6.22-15-generic (don't cut and past this into your commands - run the command and use the output from your system).

So replaced every instance of 'uname -r' above with 2.6.22-15-generic (no quotes).

Worked like a champ.

Thanks pure_ascii for the great solution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12