Thread: Mouse scroll wheel configuration and keyboard layout

Beans

Unhappy Mouse scroll wheel configuration and keyboard layout

Hey all,

Ive just finished installing Ubuntu. Its the first time in my life that I use this and im loving it. However, I have a few small keyboard and mouse related problems.

1)There is no French Canadian layout for Ubuntu like there was in Windows. Id like to be able to do quotes when I press shift + 2, and @ sign when I press alt + ctrl + 2.

2)My mouses middle button click doesnt work (in Firefox at least). It is a Logitech Wireless S510 mouse. Also I used to configure it so that the side scrolling would also be a middle button click. Surely there is a way to arrange that?

3)Alt + numpad keys doesnt seem to do the ASCII character correspondingly as it did in Windows. Im used to do that a lot. Any way to change it?

Thanks.

(FYI, Im using Ubuntu 8.0.4 with GNOME)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Mouse scroll wheel configuration and keyboard layout

I have a related problem. Updated to Ubuntu8 a couple of days ago. Single and double quotes are not applied with a single keystroke, but double stroke gives characters not always recognized. ´This is example of double stroke chars.¨ I have found nothing in panel menus to help. [Addendum. on reading further in results of search here on ¨keyboard¨. I was prompted to look at system->preferences->keyboard->layout again. While US English was listed, I hadn´t checked it. Now that I have, problem continues.] Thanks to Wikipedia, I found that I have a 104-key board: once I selected that, I got single-stroke quotes.

Xeon06: have you looked at system->administration->language support?
    Last edited by waltclay; June 22nd, 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: further info

Beans

I did but there is not much interesting in there.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I wondered about the volume of posts on these forums, but now we know - some just languish.

I suggest you repost under Absolute Beginners, but split into 2 separate questions.