Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Talking Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Well guys, after almost a week trying to set up my wireless card on my Acer Aspire 4520-5074, yesterday after i formated again my pc and installed a 64 bits version of Ubuntu Hardy, i followed the following how to:

    http://region19.blogspot.com/2008/06...ng-ubuntu.html

    And for my surprise, it worked as expected and i could finally connect to my home network with WPA2 encryptation. But after a reboot everything stoped to work I could scan for network but i wasnt able to connect on it. And when i run the ifconfig it always showed me an new interface wlan0:avahi.

    After a lot of research i finally solved my problem all i had to do was:

    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/avahi-daemon
    and add the following line:
    Code:
    AVAHI_DAEMON_START=0
    AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1
    After a reboot, everything back to work normally. Btw, i'm usign ndiswrapper with wicd.

    I hope this can help someone that has the same problem i used to had.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Beans
    6
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Its also help if you disable in System > Admin > Session uncheck MultiCast DNS Service Discovery and Bluetooth.

    Please comment if this helps.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    137

    Exclamation Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eduf.santos View Post
    Its also help if you disable in System > Admin > Session uncheck MultiCast DNS Service Discovery and Bluetooth.

    Please comment if this helps.
    That should be: System > Administration > Services
    or services-admin from a console

    BTW: Why on earth should he disable his Bluetooth service, which has nothing to do with this issue, and even if he did; he might have a Bluetooth device, like for example a printer or whatever.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    eastern NC
    Beans
    657
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    My interface error is similar (ath0:avahi), since my wireless card is an Atheros.

    Is the fix the same as for wlan:avahi?

    Right now, I can get it hooked up wireless after booting up, by restarting networking after re-boot:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    I know how to create the startup script for this, thanks to wieman01, but if your solution will work, I won't have to.

    In the event I try your solution, and it DOES NOT work, how do I reverse it???

    Thanks...

    If you wanna' help, great. But explain as you go. Otherwise, you're just giving away fish, and not the important stuff - pole, bait, net, etc...

    Still a beginnerd, but not absolute...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Relativity
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by buccaneere View Post
    My interface error is similar (ath0:avahi), since my wireless card is an Atheros.

    Is the fix the same as for wlan:avahi?
    As they said above uncheck multicast dns services in servies... also remove avahi-autoipd with synaptic.
    JonDo
    'Weird magic happens here' Error: Success

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Beans
    15
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Buccaneere,

    I have to do

    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    each time I boot my PC otherwhise my wireless won't work.

    And, as described ty Dizzle7677, I shut down multicast dns services AND removed avahi-autoipd.

    Still no luck.

    How to fix ?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Keaau, Hawaii, USA
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    New to Ubuntu Hardy Gnome. Have an SMCWPCI 802.11 b/g MIMO wireless card, atheros based chip works well in Windows. Security is WPA PSK TKIP. Installed wpasupplicant with synaptic. Set up wireless profile as dhcp and roaming unchecked. Placed Network Monitor Applet in system tray. On boot, right-clicked applet, found wlan0:awahi top of list, unconnected. Edited name by backspace to show just wlan0. Then the signal showed strong but still unconnected. Went to System Admin Networking and unchecked wired network. Double checked security pass key was okay,actually re-input it. Then ran sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart in terminal. Bottom of echo code said it was sleeping. Still could not go online. Gave up. A few minutes later looked down, surprised, found icon showing fully connected. My bluetooth is still enabled, but Iĺl give disabling it a try. Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by finkey; August 26th, 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: updated trial

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Keaau, Hawaii, USA
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Findings: After deselecting Bluetooth Manager in Sys Pref Sessions, and restarting PC, wlan:avahi no longer existed and wlan0 showed up disconnected. Still had to sudo /etc/init.d/networking and got bottom line: no working lease in persistent database - sleeping. Went into Sys Admin Networking Wireless Properties to the General tab, and reinput my pass key, and at General Tab, input my router domain name (myhome.westell.com). Then it went online. Does not make a difference if Wired Connection was checked or not. (Heard Ubuntu Hardy defaults to a wired connection so unplugged ethernet cable and eliminated that factor).

    Later...Found out that after input sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart one has to go back to System Admin Networking, and reinput wireless pass key. Then it restarts and goes online right away.

    Later...Found solution to having to input WPA PSK key twice to go online is to install libpam-gnome-keyring and closely follow directions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo in the section Avoiding Password Nagging. Then restart. Still have to sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart but thatś minor. Connects right up with working lease and no more sleeping.

    Later: To see MAC and IP address as assigned by dhcp: Add applet Network Monitor to panel. Right click on it, choose Properties,then Support tab.
    Last edited by finkey; August 27th, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: found workarounds to wireless going online problems

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    6

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by eduf.santos View Post
    Well guys, after almost a week trying to set up my wireless card on my Acer Aspire 4520-5074, yesterday after i formated again my pc and installed a 64 bits version of Ubuntu Hardy, i followed the following how to:

    http://region19.blogspot.com/2008/06...ng-ubuntu.html

    And for my surprise, it worked as expected and i could finally connect to my home network with WPA2 encryptation. But after a reboot everything stoped to work I could scan for network but i wasnt able to connect on it. And when i run the ifconfig it always showed me an new interface wlan0:avahi.

    After a lot of research i finally solved my problem all i had to do was:

    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/avahi-daemon
    and add the following line:
    Code:
    AVAHI_DAEMON_START=0
    AVAHI_DAEMON_DETECT_LOCAL=1
    After a reboot, everything back to work normally. Btw, i'm usign ndiswrapper with wicd.

    I hope this can help someone that has the same problem i used to had.
    hi eduf,

    i'm usign ndiswrapper with wicd too but my ubuntu 8.04 still cant connected to the router

    checked on the log found that 'no DHCPOFFERS received' but in the router log the IP has been offered.

    hmmm i'm totally frustrated with this... Appreciate if you or anyone can help on this

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Beans
    92
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Solving Wireless wlan0:avahi problem !!!

    how to do same in kubuntu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •