Thread: Bios flashing : goog idea for a lighting problem ?

Lightbulb Bios flashing : good idea for a luminosity problem ?

Eyh fellows !
    Sorry if I do some mistakes, I'm not a native english-speaker.

I actually have some luminosity problems : in fact, my screen luminosity is always on top, and I can't turn it down. So my battery life is really limited, something like 45 min.

So, I've tried many stuffs I saw on different ubuntu communities, but it didn't work. My laptop is a toshiba Satellite A100-788, and i've got an ATI graphic card... I know it's not great for linux, but...

So : My question is : can flashing the bios do something about this problem ? I saw it solved some problems...

But it's a risky operation : so I wan't to know if, by taking this risk, I have some chance to save some battery life ?

Kind regards,

Thanks !
    Last edited by Pouzy; June 23rd, 2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Correcting the word "light" by "luminosity"

Re: Bios flashing : good idea for a luminosity problem ?

Sorry, the topic is on the fourth page so I think I can "up" it
    Thank you very much

Re: Bios flashing : good idea for a luminosity problem ?

Here's the site that gave me the idea, if it can help : http://slu.ms/articles/toshiba-linux...d-brightness-2

Thank's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Bios flashing : goog idea for a lighting problem ?

I googled your laptop a little bit and found a French site that is claiming it to be fully compatible with Ubuntu 8.04:

http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org//toshiba_a100-788?redirect=1

If you speak French, or can run things through babble fish this might be a good starting place.

The link you posted sounds hopeful as well, be sure to have it plugged into a reliable source of power when updating the bios, bios updating generally is very quick, but if you lose power while its in process then your going to have to tackle unbricking the thing.

Do you think that being on my battery power + sector would be good enough for the update ?

I speak french, I'm gonna take a look at your link, thank's !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Pouzy View Post
    Do you think that being on my battery power + sector would be good enough for the update ?

I speak french, I'm gonna take a look at your link, thank's !
    I don't know what "sector" is, but if its something you plug into the wall with that would be how I'd handle it.

Oh, sorry "sector" was a francism.
    So, it's A/C power So if's there's a problem on A/C, the battery would be enough to take the intermediary...

Hope so, in fact. I'll try on 1st of July, cause now i can't. I'll come back here after to tell you, if my computer isn't down !

I finally jumped, and...
    Everything works ! Fn keys, multimedia keys, brightness... I'm overwhelmed ! That's so great !

I've never thought of flashing my BIOS, but... It's a pretty good solution of many problems I guess ...!

Thank's for your answers