Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are the developers?? Need answers to common questions

Beans

Re: Where are the developers?? Need answers to common questions

I've submitted bug reports before too, especially to microsoft about windows and redhat about fedora. Of the 20 or so only 5 did I get responses from. I had to take and experiment on windows and fedora to get them to run right and when I came across the same problems in ubuntu, I knew what to do. I am not trying to say that you won't get your question or problem fixed by asking the developers. But as a user of linux, you sometimes need to learn things on your own.

For instance, when Fedora came out I was one of the ones that download the first copies of it the night before the official launch. I had problems with the OS after the install and had to practically rewrite the code for Xorg and a few programs. Still to this moment, I am waiting for a reply to those questions.

Sorry, but I just wanted to make a point.
    Well,
    Big Venus, its show time...

Later...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Well, most of the stuff in the wiki is looked over by the doc team
    And most of the stuff in the wiki is over looked by the user. Just a thought for anyone reading.

Beans

After my last post I did try the suggestion to search the wiki - and I found some answers. (It was not clear to me that a wiki was the place to look for that kind of info)
    Anyway, it seems my sugestion is not totally invalid : https://launchpad.net/products/launc...-knowledgebase

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ghaspias
    What I'd like to see is some 'official' answers to common questions
    I am sure the smart and friendly people who put Ubuntu together can answer most of the questions with a 'can't be done without large effort' or 'if you want that, you must tweak this'.
    There are 90 000 threads on these forums with 470 000 posts. Each and every one of those questions is very important to the submitter... Answering to most of them with any authority is pretty much the definition of Sisyphean task.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

if you want in depth descriptions of how things work, goto a gentoo forum, and just read it with a grain of salt. Things like emerge obviously dont work--but the way apps work on the inside isnt really different between the two distros.

the difference between the gentoo wiki/forums and the ubuntu wiki/forums is that gentoo is all about answers, and they shoot people who ask questions that have already been answered. the ubuntu group welcomes the "stupid" questions, becuase they arent stupid to the person answering them.

in these forums, you get peer help and suggestions. at the gentoo forums, you get deep geek insight. there are guys on this forum that also frequent that one, so you get some insite from them as well, but only if they have tinkered with what you are asking about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

if no body here can help, then you could consider paid support http://www.ubuntu.com/support

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam
    if no body here can help, then you could consider paid support http://www.ubuntu.com/support
    I think this is a good point to bring up. Fixing obscure problems in an operating system is a time consuming task. Free user based support has its limitations and the reality is that expert advice costs money. Most people don't like paying for support, so they attempt to become 'experts' themselves and be self sufficient with regards to fixing their own problems. Either way someone has to spend a considerable amount of time on this activity and either way someone is being compensated. If you get someone else to do it, you compensate them with a payment. If you do it yourself, you compensate yourself, through not having to pay. If your time is worth more than the cost of paid support, then paid support becomes a favourable option.

An open source operating system at least gives the user the freedom to fix all their problems if they are willing to spend the time to gain the expertise. A closed source system limits your freedoms in this regard and makes paid support the only option in some cases.
    Last edited by Mustard; May 16th, 2006 at 02:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12