Thread: The ATI Graphics Card Blues...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

The ATI Graphics Card Blues...

Greetings all.

I'm currently running an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (yes, that card). As some (or many) of you may or may not have read in the forums, this particular ATI card is far more diabolical than most, as it refuses to easily work with most Linux-related programs (at least not without it being cursed at for a few good hours).

I've just about had my fill of this thing. The only thing that's been keeping me from ripping it out and taking it apart transistor by transistor is the argument of, "Well, at least it still works in XP." Not anymore, it would seem. Either due to the latest drivers from the ATI site, or just from the card having run its life-span (a rich, full 1 1/2 years?), it is now giving me the electronic equivalent of "the finger."

This started originally when I was playing the demo of Penny Arcade's new game, and also when I recently brought home Mass Effect for the PC (System Requirements Lab told me I was able to play it past the recommended settings). However, even more recently, it has crashed when I'm playing The Sims 2; a good game in its own rite, but not a considerable "resource hog."

As you can imagine, I'm now in the market for a new card. I want something comparable to (equivalent, or slightly better than) my current card. I was thinking of a GeForce 8800 GT, or 8800 GTS. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    "D" to the "Ayo," "S" to the "Izz-H."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The ATI Graphics Card Blues...

Direct ATI support of fglrx happens here:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I'm sure they would appreciate your feedback and participation... they may even help you fix your issues.

Oh, and Catalyst 8.6 is out. Are you using it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: The ATI Graphics Card Blues...

Yes, actually. Just downloaded it a few days ago. Hasn't really helped much (I heard that 8.5 was buggy, so I was heartened when I saw 8.6 was released, though it seems it was in vain).

It actually "blue screened" on me once while attempting to start up Mass Effect. I've since updated all of my drivers (processor, graphics card, sound card, etc.). That seems to have helped a little, but it's still very much a problem. =/

I'll try following up the link, but I just wish I had known what a headache ATI is with Linux, lest I would have gone nVidia.
    "D" to the "Ayo," "S" to the "Izz-H."