Thread: Can we use rEFIT with an Intel based PC (not Mac)?

Beans

Can we use rEFIT with an Intel based PC (not Mac)?

I stumbled upon this nice GUI bootloader called rEFIT. I was wondering if it could be run on a standard Intel based PC. My idea was to replace Grub and use rEFIT instead.

Your feedback would be appreciated!

http://refit.sourceforge.net/
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can we use rEFIT with an Intel based PC (not Mac)?

I've had a look at the page you may be able to build it from the source code, but seeing as you're asking this in absolute beginner it may beyond your skills at this time.

There are some excellent threads on making grub look better. have a look at this.

http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/sho...d.php?t=481957

Jim

Beans

Thanks. I've tried pimping up Grub in the past and I've used GfxBoot too. But rEFIT looks REALLY nice and better than the Grub or GfxBoot, that's why I wanted to try it.

Any wiz out there interested in a Linux version of rEFIT???
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unfortunately, rEFIt is not actually a bootloader, though it looks quite like one. You still need GRUB to boot linux.

You can download rEFIt as an ISO and also as a tar.gz, so in theory you should be able to get it to run on a linux machine, but it's really pointless because it doesn't know how to boot linux.

For example on my machine, which is dual-booting between Snow Leopard and Lucid Lynx, (if and) when rEFIt loads when I power on, I choose linux or mac, and if I choose linux that partition starts, runs grub, then boots ubuntu from there.

I would love to do this too, if it were possible...