Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu won't load, been at this for weeks, please help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu won't load, been at this for weeks, please help.

If you've the 7.10 liveCD you should be able to boot up and run in safe graphics mode.

As far as what to do next. Mount your hdd and start copying files to whatever media you plan on using for backup. I don't have Mepis installed on anything and it's been about 2 years since I looked at it, but it is Debian based so most of the commands you'd use in Ubuntu would work on Mepis.

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you've the 7.10 liveCD you should be able to boot up and run in safe graphics mode.

As far as what to do next. Mount your hdd and start copying files to whatever media you plan on using for backup. I don't have Mepis installed on anything and it's been about 2 years since I looked at it, but it is Debian based so most of the commands you'd use in Ubuntu would work on Mepis.

Jim
    The 7.10 liveCD will not let me boot in safe graphics mode. Tried it. Neither will 8.04.

Mounting my HDD is what I'm having trouble with on Mepis right now. Anyone able to tell me how to do that either on Ubuntu or Mepis seeing as the process might be pretty similar? Remember, <------ absolute beginner here.

Beans

keeping this alive in the hopes that someone will see it and tell me how to mound a hard drive in mepis or ubuntu. i can't seem to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Easy way to do it in mepis is open gparted, and right click on the windows partition and click mount.. then browse to it in konqueror

**Edit** I was playing arround with a mepis live cd and realized there is a much easier way. On the bottom right there is an icon that has like three cubes (red, green, and orange). click it and you should be able to mount your partitions there.
    Last edited by richiewrt; June 22nd, 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richiewrt View Post
    Easy way to do it in mepis is open gparted, and right click on the windows partition and click mount.. then browse to it in konqueror

**Edit** I was playing arround with a mepis live cd and realized there is a much easier way. On the bottom right there is an icon that has like three cubes (red, green, and orange). click it and you should be able to mount your partitions there.
    okay, so i used gparted like stated, and i was able to see the partitions. there are a list of two ntfs partitions, one with 19 gigs used, and the other unused, which makes sense b/c i partitioned it twice and didn't really use the second one.

when i go to mount the boot one, the one i need access to, it says "mount on" and the only option is '/mnt/sda1' i don't know what that means, but when i mounted it there and opened konqueror i was unable to find it.

what next? thanks in advance...

Beans

okay, i was actually able to find /mnt/sda1 myself now, but it says i don't have access rights to this location. how can i get access rights to it?

thanks again.

Beans

holy smokes, i am well on my way, i got access to the old hard drive partition and think i am able to copy my work onto a micro disk now. i'll keep posting my efforts, and uh...any more questions i have >.<

what a long and frustrating month, but i'm making some progress. i really want ubuntu as opposed to mepis though, i'll have to try the alternate CD once i get my saved files recovered.

Beans

okay, now i am at another empasse. when i try to copy my 'my documents' folder onto my usb storage device i get a message that /mnt/sda1/documents and settings/etcetc does not exist. and it won't let me copy the folder. any ideas?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12