Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

So which of the above configurations you mentioned works good? the ABS_X/Y one?...

I still haven't got the time to play with this, but I will later on today...I don't know if I might encounter problems...

Anyways, thanks for your replies, and I hope someone can explain to me what's the difference between REL_X/Y and ABS_X/Y...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toshibawarrior View Post
    So which of the above configurations you mentioned works good? the ABS_X/Y one?
    ABS_X/Y is used in ir_ptr (infra red tracking) as well as joystick, everything works perfectly here.

REL_X/Y is used in acceleration data from your Wii remote (tilt your Wii remote and your mouse cursor will move too), this is the one where you are unable to bind keyboard keys to your Wii remote - only mouse buttons can be bound to your Wii remote in this case.
    Last edited by Rhubarb; June 29th, 2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Please ignore this post, as it is no longer a problem and has been updated in my howto.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh, I get it now...I'm gonna start playing with this right now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just in case it doesn't work, is there a way to uninstall this packages and dependencies without damaging other configurations?...like using:

sudo aptitude remove cwiid....?or something along these lines?...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

YEAH! It's working! I still have to tamper with button mapping, but at least the "WiiMote as a mouse" thing works...a little shaky though. I'm gonna map some buttons to see how it goes!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OK, this will sound extremely stupid...but I did it! And when I saw my WiiMote acting as a multimedia pc remote (for moving between songs, next, prev, play/pause, etc...) a tear came out of my eye...I'm so freaking amazed at how many things Ubuntu can do...

I deeply thank you for all your help Rhubarb...I'll keep playing with my WiiMote's settings to see if I can find anything about the key binding problems...

i just have one last question (I'm very new to this, I was on the DarkSide of Windows for over 10 years)...How can I make my Nunchuk's joystick work?...the C and Z buttons work great, but they joystick is dead...I tried to modify the /etc/cwiid/wminput/nunchuk_acc_ptr, but nothing works...

If anyone can help me, please do!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

okay, this all looks good, and i'm in. can i bind the zoom functions to the up/down axis on the d-pad either in the wiimote setup or in the zoom configuration? and you did confirm that doing this does nothing internally to the wiimote, correct?

gonna try it out later today...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

paulderol, it does not chang anything on the wiimote, I confirmed it myself. However, as for the zoom functions, you should check here...it has tons of button/key bindings, and you might find your zoom options there. Check it out and us know.

Don't worry about your wiimote, he'll be fine!
    Last edited by Toshibawarrior; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, so I keep messing around with my wiimote, and I wanted to know...Does the nunchuk has cursor movement in CwiiD?...Whenever i have it plugged into the wiimote the cursor shakes a little bit...sometimes a lot. And I wanted to know if the nunchuk has cursor control via IR like the wiimote? if it does, please let me know how to disable it......

I still can't find how to make the nunchuk's joystick work...

And btw, I'm sorry for so many consecutive posts...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i think the nunchuck produces some accelerometer information, does it not? wouldn't that then be pushed through as extraneous mouse inputs that X is having difficulty translating?

and thanks for the link, that looks like it'll do me just fine, now it's just for stealing a wiimote from a friend to try it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well I've been toying with the nunchuk's configurations, and it does produce accelerometer info/data, I still don't know how deactivate it...I needed the Z and C buttons for using CTRL and ALT to activate the Compiz Cube...but everytime I point both the wiimote and the nunchuk at the sensor bar, the cursor goes berserk with shaking...

I hope there's a workaround to this.

And as far as I've read, the nunchuk's joystick is not recognized by CWiiD...as it doesn't show anywhere on the wminput files...the only joysticks there are the ones on the classic controller......
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast