Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    You can get your wii remote working with your emulators in Ubuntu.
    I doubt your hp usb pickup is actually bluetooth.
    Check to see if there's the bluetooth logo on it:

Also check your panel too see if there's the bluetooth loge in there.
    Your wireless pci card is for wireless LAN / internet, it's not bluetooth.

Bluetooth usb plug-ins can be bought for AU$10 here, most should just work when you plug it in (check the gnome panel - top right corner in Ubuntu - a bluetooth icon should pop up when your computer is bluetooth enabled).
    thank ya sir
    i figured most of those were stupid questions but i figured id see if there was any way before i went out and payed that hefty figure for a bluetooth adapter

Beans

So i read through the first few pages and saw nothing on the IR receiver. Does anyone use an IR receiver , and if so, is it a single reciever like on a tv, or does it have the two end like the Wii does?

not sure if i am wording that correctly or not but hopfully you understand what i mean. next question would be where can i buy one?

sorry if this has already been answered, but like i said, after the first 5 pages or so, nothing about it has been said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deathvalleyjoker View Post
    So i read through the first few pages and saw nothing on the IR receiver. Does anyone use an IR receiver , and if so, is it a single reciever like on a tv, or does it have the two end like the Wii does?

not sure if i am wording that correctly or not but hopfully you understand what i mean. next question would be where can i buy one?
    You're after an IR transmitter (your wiimote is actually the reciever), you only need 1 emitter for it to work.
    I don't know where you can buy them from, I just made it up myself with an IR LED, a switch, and a AA battery.

If you want to test your wiimote, try using a candle / cigarette lighter / incandescent light bulb. Your wiimote should be able to track one of those fine.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    You're after an IR transmitter (your wiimote is actually the reciever), you only need 1 emitter for it to work.
    I don't know where you can buy them from, I just made it up myself with an IR LED, a switch, and a AA battery.

If you want to test your wiimote, try using a candle / cigarette lighter / incandescent light bulb. Your wiimote should be able to track one of those fine.
    Rhubarb: thanks for the correction. after re-reading what i wrote, i see i mixed them up.

I thought i remember reading, when the wii first came out, that the sensor bar was only two lights and from that, the wiimote could triangulate where it is at. And that is how it is able to know where you are pointing. But if u say u have it working with just one transmitter, well then ill see if radio shack has one, and give it a whirl. Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deathvalleyjoker View Post
    Rhubarb: thanks for the correction. after re-reading what i wrote, i see i mixed them up.

I thought i remember reading, when the wii first came out, that the sensor bar was only two lights and from that, the wiimote could triangulate where it is at. And that is how it is able to know where you are pointing. But if u say u have it working with just one transmitter, well then ill see if radio shack has one, and give it a whirl. Thanks
    When using your wiimote with your wii, it needs to see two IR lights.
    But, when using your wiimote with this howto in Ubuntu, you only need one IR light (it works really well from just 1 IR light).
    Have fun!
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

I've not looked at Wiimote stuff since Feisty, and wow, it's got a lot easier! Thanks, Rhubarb, for posting the new howto, and I hope you do get a chance to clean up my wiki page for the new version (it's probably worth keeping the old version around as an appendix, for those strange people who're still using an older version of Ubuntu though, I think) - the install instructions seem to be up to date, but the ones for actually using it are a little out.

Anyway. I've created some alternative icons for the Wiimote stuff, as I felt your ones didn't really fit in with my theme - they were a bit too loud, so I've made some slightly subtler ones.

Everyone, feel free to use them. I'm putting them under "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike" license, which essentially means you can use them wherever you like, but if you do, or you change them, let other people have them too.

I made the white one first, but on a more or less white toolbar, it didn't show up, so I darkened it a bit. That works quite nicely with the default theme colours. The inverted one, I'm using for the "killall wminput", where you used the red one, but I also did red and green icons as well, in case people have got used to them or prefer them! Hope they're useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimote.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	80266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimotedark.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	80267   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimoteinv.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	80268   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimotegreen.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	80269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimotered.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	80270  

Last edited by leffect; August 5th, 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Beans

Sorry to double post, but I noticed that the green one was a bit too pale, so here's a darker version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiimotedkgrn.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	80286  

Beans

Lovely, thanks leffect
    I've added your nice icons to my main tutorial.
    I should update the wiki page, but I don't quite have time to do it at the moment.

If you have time leffect (or others here), by all means you may update it with my tutorial for Ubuntu Hardy.
    The wiki can be found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CWiiD
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Glad you like them, Rhubarb! I've updated the Wiki page somewhat. It's now got instructions, split by version, for using the Wiimote as a mouse - both tilting and IR, but I've not added the additional controllers part, or the details on config files. I've not played with that myself yet, so I don't feel ready to write documentation on it! It also could use some proofreading, and checking, but I think it's pretty accurate!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Darn! After I had my Wiimote working great I had a major need to format my pc and make a clean install of Hardy, and I copied lots of things, except the configurations files for this How-To I'll have to start from scratch again. Although I can paste the "Functions"I mapped to the buttons, if I can find where I posted them in this How-To...

Anyways, this has nothing to do with you guys, but I wanted to tell someone...LOL!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast