Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

LOL.. yeah a tripod would work.. I dont have a tripod and unfortunately don't have the space to work with a tripod around there... probably fix it on my wall with something...

Beans

someone posted that they could use the nunchuk joystick as a mouse; how?

I looked at joy2key and the other joystick mapping programs, but the problem is that the nunchuk doesnt show up as /dev/js0

any ideas?

Beans

While I don't have a nunchuck to test this out, you should be able to get your nunchuck working as a mouse.
    Make sure in your /etc/cwiid/wminput/buttons you have:
    Code:
    Nunchuk.C		= BTN_LEFT
    Nunchuk.Z		= BTN_RIGHT
    Then connect to your wiimote using nunchuck_acc_ptr:
    Code:
    wminput -c nunchuck_acc_ptr
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
    Then connect to your wiimote using nunchuck_acc_ptr:
    Code:
    wminput -c nunchuck_acc_ptr
    I definitely have to try this...While I haven't been able to mess around with my wiimote on Ubuntu these past few days, I think I might be able to play with it some more today...I will try this nunchuk thingy, since i really want my joystick to control the cursor...but I see it kinda "impossible"...But thanks for the input Rhubarb!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

I'm currently browsing the internet and using my Hardy Machine with my infrared keychain light that I rigged up today. It works fantastically with the help of the Wii Whiteboard app that was in the link. Thanks for the awesome links!! I'm a proud owner of a laptop with a touch screen! For about 50 bucks!

EDIT: Has anyone else had any success with this use of the wiimote?
    Last edited by whyette; July 16th, 2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Thought of discussion question...

Beans

Yes the wii whiteboard app is really nice isn't it? <3

I just discovered another good wiimote application similar to CWiid (which is what this howto uses), it's called XWii.
    http://www.resplect.com/xwii/
    I've had a quick play around with it already, the IR tracking is poor, and I dare say the accelerometer tracking is also a little poor.
    But having said that, it allows you to bind multiple key combinations to buttons / actions / bumps.
    You can even bind executables and bash scripts to it <-- Which I just love, it's great!

So I think XWii makes a nice complement to CWiid, perhaps I may write up a little howto to get XWii up and running some day.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Wii remote in Ubuntu 8.04

Hey guys!

Thanks for the great How-To!

I got a wiimote today and got it up and running within minutes.

I'm sure this has been asked before but:

Is it possible to map the nunchuck analog stick to KEY_UP KEY_DOWN KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT?

(I'm thinkin FPS's)

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oodlesOfmoodles View Post
    Is it possible to map the nunchuck analog stick to KEY_UP KEY_DOWN KEY_LEFT and KEY_RIGHT?
    Yes this is possible, but may be a little tricky to setup.
    There are two ways in which this may work for you:

joy2key can translate joystick movements into key presses (I'm not sure how easy this is to get up and going)

XWii is an alternative to CWiid (which is what this tutorial uses), in some cases it's worse, and in others far better.

As I don't have the nunchuck myself I can't say exactly how this would be done (I'm thinking of getting one soon).

Personally I'd tend to lean towards using XWii, as it's very good once it's up and working (yes, there are some annoyances with it), it allows you to bind axis to keys, allows you to bind multiple keys to buttons, and allows you to bind programs and bash scripts to buttons.

I can help you if you need some with XWii.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans

Cool, i see the XWII developer finally had some time to add the daemon function to it . Thats the only thing that hold me back on using cwiid on my mythbox.

Beans

I'd like to get the -d flag working with my setup here, but wminput doesn't like it. When I try to use -d, it reports back the following

"invalid option --d"

What can I do to get this thing always looking for my WiiMote so that I don't have to run the battery down when I'm not using it?

Thanks a lot. I am more of a reader than a poster, so I'll be interested in seeing the responses.

Thanks again.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast