Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WUBI 8.04.1 PRE-RELEASE IS OUT! It addresses most known issues.

Beans

Lightbulb WUBI 8.04.1 PRE-RELEASE IS OUT! It addresses most known issues.

The pre-release of 8.04.1 is available here:

http://wubi-installer.org/devel/mine...4.1-rev505.exe

This addresses most issues that emerged after release. If you have trouble with Wubi 8.04 give this a shot, and please let me know if it works or not.

Note that it requires the latest 8.04.1 DAILY DESKTOP ISO (run it with --skipmd5check to use an older 8.04.1 daily ISO). It is recommended to let Wubi download one for you. In any case the correct ISOs are available here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/hardy/daily-live/current

The 8.04 final ISO will not work, alternate and DVD ISOs will not work either whatever the version.
    Last edited by ago; July 3rd, 2008 at 03:25 PM.

Beans

Re: 8.04.1 pre-release is available! It addresses most known issues.

In particular 8.04.1 addresses the following problems:

* LP217348: Ubuntu cannot boot when there are multiple hard disks
    * LP224311: Ubuntu gets stuck at reboot with the message: "Turning on gate A20" or "...upper memory..."
    * LP204128: Vista jams Wubi when ejecting the CD
    * LP222690: install failed during "import document and setting" at 88% - French windows XP
    * LP223250: Improved country detection
    * LP226622: Wubi has unclear error message on NTFS dirty flag
    * LP224697: Disable hibernation if swap is on file
    * LP136682: File with non-C/special characters in host computer disappear
    * LP236741: Wubi may erase the wrong ubuntu directory when uninstalling
    * LP227023: Vista bootloader does not get updated in some circumstancesae
    * LP223155: Wubi failed to install with 255.488MB of RAM (this is now a warning)

What 8.04.1 does not fix:

* LP230716: Installer get stacked when extracting the ISO file from CD
    * Installation over (software) RAID 0 or 1 is NOT supported, this will be supported in the 8.10 release
    * Installation over encrypted disks
    * Whenever regular Ubuntu requires workarounds for incompatible hardware such as special boot paramters (acpi=off or all_generic_ide) or incorrect video driver, the same applies to Wubi (press ESC at boot to get a list of common workarounds).
    * Installation with fragmented swap file may fail (in this case run JKDefrag on your drive and reinstall Wubi).
    * DVD ISO and Alternate ISO are NOT supported, again this version only supports the 8.04.1 DESKTOP DAILY ISO (pay attention to the .1 at the end...)
    Last edited by ago; June 30th, 2008 at 08:54 AM.

Beans

Re: WUBI 8.04.1 PRE-RELEASE IS OUT! It addresses most known issues.

I got it to run I tried kubuntu , i only noticed one thing that it was having problem updating, when i would click fetch updates it will load all the ones to download but wouldn't let me click appy, i tried restarting to see if that would work but no luck with that.

I uninstalled that verison and went to reinstall version 8.04 but it keeps saying the download was interrupted with an error? whats with that?

Beans

Exclamation Re: WUBI 8.04.1 PRE-RELEASE IS OUT! It addresses most known issues.

I am having the same problem as rawlwear. my download stops and shuts down the install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rawlwear View Post
    I got it to run I tried kubuntu , i only noticed one thing that it was having problem updating, when i would click fetch updates it will load all the ones to download but wouldn't let me click appy, i tried restarting to see if that would work but no luck with that.
    That does not sound like a wubi problem

I uninstalled that verison and went to reinstall version 8.04 but it keeps saying the download was interrupted with an error? whats with that?
    It probably means that the server is down. You can download manually and place the iso in the same folder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brettfromokla View Post
    I am having the same problem as rawlwear. my download stops and shuts down the install.
    This sounds more like a segfault, try to download the ISO manually then
    Last edited by ago; June 23rd, 2008 at 09:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Excellent, that's good to know!

I'd like to point out that a few of fixes are still siting in the hardy-proposed queue awaiting verification that the fix actually addresses the issue. It would be great if some Wubi users could go through and confirm that the issues are indeed fixed.

In particular, the following Wubi-related bugfixes are marked as needing verification in Launchpad:

* LP230716: Installer get stacked when extracting the ISO file from CD
    * LP217348: Ubuntu cannot boot when there are multiple hard disks
    * LP136682: File with non-C/special characters in host computer disappear
    * LP222690: install failed during "import document and setting" at 88% - French windows XP
    * LP238701: Support bindmounts when detecting the target mountpoint

To verify, first try to recreate the problem with the original 8.04 Wubi, then attempt to reproduce the problem in the 8.04.1 Wubi pre-release. Finally report whatever you learn from that in a comment to the bug you're trying to verify. The steps you took, whether you were successful or not, and any other problems/regressions you might have noticed are all useful information to report. More information about doing bugfix verifications is available at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification
    Also, going on today (June 26, 2008) is a Bug Hug day dedicated specifically to trying to verify fixes that are currently sitting in hardy-proposed and waiting to be released as an update. So if you want guidance on doing trying to verify these WUBI fixes, please join the #ubuntu-bugs IRC channel on irc.freenode.org. More information on the Bug Hug day is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBugDay/20080624.

Thanks for helping to make Wubi and the rest of Ubuntu Hardy Heron better!
    Last edited by sbeattie; June 24th, 2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Make it clear that the list of bugs needing verification is Wubi-related.

Beans

well i fianlly got 8.40.1 back installed, but I have one other problem whenever I ever try to install an app it says "break install", i tried from the add/remove, and from the package manger etc but still wont work. it sad something like the installation of some packages is pending/broken in cache. any help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Anything changed/being done about wubi downloading the cd image through a http proxy?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Unixus View Post
    Anything changed/being done about wubi downloading the cd image through a http proxy?
    No, that will be addressed in 8.10. For the time being you can download the ISO manually and place it in the same folder as wubi.exe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast