Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Heron updated, Ubuntu fails to load

Beans

Re: Hardy Heron updated, Ubuntu fails to load

$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV570 [Radeon X1950 Pro] (rev 9a)

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    there ya go, thank you for keeping up with the thread.
    i have been able to get it to load with the hardware drivers provided via Ubuntu but still no direct rendering or the ati drivers instead of the mesa one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have heard about the dkms problem you had, I think you are supposed to recompile part of the kernel or some garbage like that - I don't recommend it.
    A lot of people upgrading to Hardy have had problems with their ATI cards, and although some are able to fix them, many times the best thing to do was to do a fresh install of Ubuntu Hardy. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if you backup all your data, including your /home folder, a fresh install shouldn't take too long to get configured the way you like.
    It's your call.

Beans

well a fresh install would be cleaner thats for sure. all the various methods ive tried have put various amounts of non working stuff on my comp im sure. i hope i can still fit everything on my external. well off to dl hardy and backing everything up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool. Don't forget to back up your /home folder, this has hidden files and folders that store settings for programs. This means you won't have to reconfigure all your programs, just reinstall them. No GUI stuff is stored here, so we will still achieve the point of the reinstall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket2DMn View Post
    Cool. Don't forget to back up your /home folder, this has hidden files and folders that store settings for programs. This means you won't have to reconfigure all your programs, just reinstall them. No GUI stuff is stored here, so we will still achieve the point of the reinstall.
    alright it looks like i'll have to resort to reinstalling Ubuntu. How would I go about backing up my /home folder? Can I just copy and paste it into /
    ?
    Quad Core Q6600 3GB RAM 300GB Hard DriveS nVidia GeForce 8400
    Current Ubuntu Problems (2) PLEASE HELP!!:[NOT solved]Disappearing Firefox windows | [NOT SOLVED]AR5413 Atheros Card, NO linux support?
    Current Vista Problems (1): It fails to boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you have an external hard drive, you can back it up by a number of methods. Have a look at this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem - i suggest using Simple Backup or TAR. Just don't overcomplicated it, you only need your /home/<username> directory.

Beans
    Distro

I have heard about the dkms problem you had, I think you are supposed to recompile part of the kernel or some garbage like that - I don't recommend it.
    A lot of people upgrading to Hardy have had problems with their ATI cards, and although some are able to fix them, many times the best thing to do was to do a fresh install of Ubuntu Hardy. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if you backup all your data, including your /home folder, a fresh install shouldn't take too long to get configured the way you like.
    It's your call.
    Alright I backed up my /home directory through tar. To do this "fresh install" do I have to first uninstall Ubuntu somehow and then reinstall it, or can I just reinstall Ubuntu from a live CD, overwriting the current installation?
    Current Ubuntu Problems (2) PLEASE HELP!!:[NOT solved]Disappearing Firefox windows | [NOT SOLVED]AR5413 Atheros Card, NO linux support?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can overwrite what already exists. During the installation you can select to use the entire disk, this will wipe out what is already there. The default option is to use empty space, which you don't want.

Beans
    Distro

You can overwrite what already exists. During the installation you can select to use the entire disk, this will wipe out what is already there. The default option is to use empty space, which you don't want.
    Ok that what I did =).
    It's working now, but it's pretty laggy. I'll install the (204) updates first and see if it gets better (not including the kernel updates!!)

EDIT: 194 updates installed, lag gone <3
    Last edited by Deutscher Alex; June 24th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

Ok so i did a fresh install of hardy and then updated and installed the restricted driver. then after a restart it loads Ubuntu and goes to the log in screen. hover once i log in the screen turns black then white. if i alt-ctrl-backspace it shows the background as part of the log out and the log in screen. booting in the safe mode and trying to use the package repair or the xfix does not work neither does
    Code:
    $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
    i also tried booting into the 2.6.24-16 rather then the 24-19 but still no change.
    would removing the restricted drivers fix this? which was what i thought the above code did.
    please let me know what to do.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast