Thread: Weird wireless issues :(

Beans

Angry Weird wireless issues :(

First off, hello to everyone in the community!

Second, I need some help. Been using Ubuntu for about a year or so, since 7.04. Never did need to post because every problem I encountered (Ubuntu-related, of course) I always managed to solve it through means of searching for a solution on this community. But now I stumbled upon something weird and, so far, haven't been able to solve it. I'm feeling frustrated, since I found Hardy Heron to be quite useful and a pleasant experience but now I'm feeling the urge to go back to Gutsy.

So, here's the thing:

Since I upgraded to Hardy, I noticed Firefox was a bit slow. So I tried using Opera, SeaMonkey and Midori. Download speeds were normal, but browsing was SLOW. I asked my housemate if he noticed any slowdowns but he didn't, everything was normal (Vista user). I thought maybe I needed to mess with the configuration a little bit but before that I tried to connect at my parent's place. Browsing was normal, fast as always and so were the download speeds even though it was the same computer but connected to a different router.

Began searching through these forums, tried another network manager (Wicd), used another browser, tried changing the wireless rate in my pc but to no avail. Since then, I updated to Firefox 3 and Opera 9.5 thinking the problem would go away. I checked my router's firewall and everytime I browse anything it starts prompting messages like "SYN Flood to Host", "Drop invalid PPPoE-Session packet coming before PADS", "Smurf", "TCP-SYN with data", "IP Zero Length", "TCP Null Scan" and so on. I'm guessing I might have some kind of malware or something but the strange thing is, everytime I hook up my laptop at my parent's place it's everything normal! It's getting really annoying, so I would appreciate any help I could get. By the way, I'm currently using a Belkin F5D7632-4 and I use a Linksys WAG200G at my parent's house.

Cheers!

P.S.: Sorry for the long post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Weird wireless issues :(

Its ok for the long post.

Ok did u try disabling ipv6? To do that, in the terminal type:
    #sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    It ll shows aliases. You can disable ipv6 here.Find alias, alias net-pf-10 ipv6
    and change to
    alias net-pf-10 off #ipv6

Cheers

Beans

Tried just that but nothing changed. Thanks for the tip though.

Cheers

Edit: I'm going to try the LiveCD and see if there's any difference. If there is, I fear I might have to format my laptop.
    Last edited by MissingLink; June 22nd, 2008 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That ll be worth a try. Can u give me the output of #lshw -c network
    #ifconfig
    and #iwlist scan ?

Beans

Here they are. The "lshw -c network" didn't show any usful information, the output just showed some options to use with the command.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

is that ur router with ESSID Hidden?

Beans

Yes, I always set to hidden ESSID on both routers, never gave me any problems and it's somewhat safer. Do you think there's something to it?

Edit: Oh no wait! I'm sorry I misled you, my network is the one listed in Cell03. I just noticed that now :\
    Last edited by MissingLink; June 22nd, 2008 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

I refrained from using Firefox since yesterday and, so far, didn't have any slowdowns. Guess the problem really was Firefox, don't know how but for now I'm stuck with Opera.
    Last edited by MissingLink; June 24th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.