Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel updates

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel update

I forgot to switch to a different kernel when I did the above test (like I said, I'm a computer incompetent).

So, when I gave the command to reinstall the kernel, it gave me the message that the driver was already installed (from the auto-update script). So, I take it that it should've worked (except for my incompetence).

Then, I checked and found that there was a newer driver available from NVIDIA. I tried my best to uninstall the old driver. When I went to install the updated driver... I got several dozens of errors. I just kept hitting "OK". In the end, it appears that it did install and is working correctly. WOO HOO!

I've now updated the symbolic link and placed the updated driver in usr/src. I figure that is enough for today. I'll wait for the next kernel update, to make sure it works.
    Last edited by iowabeakster; April 28th, 2011 at 02:03 AM.
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by iowabeakster View Post
    I forgot to switch to a different kernel when I did the above test (like I said, I'm a computer incompetent).

So, when I gave the command to reinstall the kernel, it gave me the message that the driver was already installed (from the auto-update script). So, I take it that it should've worked (except for my incompetence).

Then, I checked and found that there was a newer driver available from NVIDIA. I tried my best to uninstall the old driver. When I went to install the updated driver... I got several dozens of errors. I just kept hitting "OK". In the end, it appears that it did install and is working correctly. WOO HOO!

I've now updated the symbolic link and placed the updated driver in usr/src. I figure that is enough for today. I'll wait for the next kernel update, to make sure it works.
    You could have just removed the kernel and then reinstalled it. But, it sounds like you are good to go. Glad you got it to work.
    I have messed my system up messing with kernels before, so I am glad you got the new driver installed.

I had to go by the instructions in my previous post to uninstall the old driver before installing the newer one. Installing a new driver.
    You have to print out step 4 through 8 or else your system will be messed up.
    Then I updated the script after that. Are you running on the new driver?
    If so, you could test the script by uninstalling the kernel and then reinstalling it and if you see the SUCCESS: Driver installed for kernel blah, blah blah message you know you are good to go.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Distro

Yep, I'm running on the new driver. Script is in place, and working as it should.

Thanks for the help.
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Distro

Well, I updated to 10.10 yesterday.

I saw during the installation process, I saw the "SUCCESS driver has been installed for this kernel" message (or whatever exactly is says).

It fired up correctly (1600x900 res), the NIVIDA xserver said that the correct driver (new updated one) was installed. Everything seemed perfect, until I tried to start FlighGear flight simulator. Then I tried another game. Both had problems, and were not functional.

I installed the driver manually, and both games started working again. I have a feeling that some 32 bit compatibilities were left out with the automatic driver install. I get a prompt during a manual install that asks if I want to install the 32 bit stuff.

Oh well, I am getting more proficient every day.
    Last edited by iowabeakster; May 2nd, 2011 at 03:25 AM.
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

First of all, how do I manually install proprietary Nvidia drivers in Natty?

Thnaks for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Is natty different than any other release?

I just made the jump to maverick.

But, this is what I've been doing.

Kill the xserver

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    Login as root.

Change to directory where you have your driver.

Code:
    cd /path/to/directory/with/NVIDIA-whatever.whatever.run
    Make it executable

Code:
    chmod +x NVIDIA-whatever.whatever.run
    Install it

Code:
    sh NVIDIA-whatever-whatever.run
    reboot
    Last edited by iowabeakster; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:26 AM.
    Xubuntu 12.04 -64bit

Beans
    Distro

You have to blacklist some files. This is mentioned on a previous post of mine, a link called "Installing new drivers".

However, my system became totally unstable several days ago and I had to do another clean install with Lucid 10.04.2.
    Don't think it was the driver. I don't know what it was but, leaving everything default this time.
    So, I have the default Lucid nVidia driver 195.36.24.

Beans
    Distro

Sweet! I just updated the nVidia driver to 275.09.07! My 28' monitor had stopped waking from sleep and had to RMA it.
    Luckily it was 2 yrs old and had a 3 yr warranty and a 4th year I had also purchased.
    I was using a 17" monitor as back up and that was about to kill me.

So, When I got the gargantuan monitor back the other day, I thought I would update. (My TV is only 36"!)

I went by these instructions on how to install it.
    But, since I could not uninstall the previous version, when I dropped into the console via safe mode, it said I needed
    to enter "telinit3" to be in the right mode. Everything worked well after that.

Then I went by this tutorial to prepare for the future and it still works great!

I just used these 4 commands afterward to test it. One to remove the previous kernel and the next to re-install and
    look for the message SUCCESS: Driver installed for kernel blah, blah blah...

I have the 2 most recent kernels for Lucid:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.32-31 linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic linux-image-2.6.32-31-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-31 linux-headers-2.6.32-31-generic linux-image-2.6.32-31-generic

sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-2.6.32-32 linux-headers-2.6.32-32-generic linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.32-32 linux-headers-2.6.32-32-generic linux-image-2.6.32-32-generic
    Oh, the remove command for the 32 kernel above removed 4 files. linux-headers-generic was not automatically reinstalled.
    I installed in via synaptic under missing recommends.

Note: the last kernel you install will be the "current one" not the one with the highest number. So, I did the 31 kernel and then the 32 kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This script still works for 11.04

I installed the new drivers and this script (following an advanced version of manual install in the post above) on my new and shiny G53SX-A1

Thank you author and all those who participated in this thread

Beans
    Distro

I upgraded to a newer nVidia driver the other day and could not get this to update the kernels.
    Then I thought DUH! I had to manually install the newer driver first and then this worked to update the kernels.

So, it is a 2 step process if upgrading the driver to a newer version. Simply updating this script did not do the trick.

But, this is a very handy HowTo as it apparently works with any version of Ubuntu.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast