Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel update

um not completely correct. The script installs the driver after the kernel update. it checks if the driver module is present and if not installs the driver you linked before the script. so if you link the new driver

sudo mv new_driver.run /usr/src
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/new_driver.run /usr/src/nvidia-driver

the script will install it when kernel is next updated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Automatically update manually installed NVidia drivers after kernel update

Quote Originally Posted by gillza View Post
    um not completely correct. The script installs the driver after the kernel update. it checks if the driver module is present and if not installs the driver you linked before the script. so if you link the new driver

sudo mv new_driver.run /usr/src
    sudo ln -s /usr/src/new_driver.run /usr/src/nvidia-driver

the script will install it when kernel is next updated.
    It was not a kernel update, it is always a new kernel install and it does not work.

I tried all of that 7 or 8 times at least. It did not work. I tried the same thing many times in the past. Each time it did not work.
    I gave up and just manually installed the new driver and then updated the script and then it finally worked.

If it worked for you, fine. It did not work for me and I know what I am doing.
    I was almost left with an unbootable Ubuntu system (windows 7 would have still been fine).

I believe the whole key here is "new kernel" versus "updated kernel"
    I will do the same in the future.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

by updated kernel i meant new kernel
    Strangely it does work for me. I can update the driver manually ofcourse or just drop it into /usr/src, link it and wait for new kernel if im lazy. Well I hope the issue resolves itself.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, don't know if it has anything to do with the drivers but after I installed them my few working function keys on G53sx-a1 (like brightness) stopped working. Worked without the driver (before installing the driver and tried live cd after install).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gillza View Post
    by updated kernel i meant new kernel
    Strangely it does work for me. I can update the driver manually ofcourse or just drop it into /usr/src, link it and wait for new kernel if im lazy. Well I hope the issue resolves itself.

Good luck!
    While trying to simply update the script with the new driver, it kept saying FAILURE when re-installing the kernel.
    But, I finally found one of the files had a broken link. I cannot recall which one, but I guess it doesn't work like it should for me.
    I have a Geforce 9800GT. I go by the instructions to install a new driver, then re-create the stuff from this tutorial.

Hope you get your other issue resolved.
    Precise 12.04 | Trusty 14.04 | Vivid 15.04 | Mint Rebecca 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

I think I figured out why I couldn't update this script last time I installed a new driver.
    DO'H! When all else fails - read the instructions.

I didn't remove the 2 files - old driver and the nvidia-driver files from /usr/src/ prior to putting the new ones there.

I just installed 285.05.09 for my Geforce 9800GT. Everything looks sweet.

This is still a great HOWTO!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910