Thread: [SOLVED] How to compile MythBuntu to fix bug?

Beans

Question [SOLVED] How to compile MythBuntu to fix bug?

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    If you are trying to change the behavior of an action you will have to recompile the code.

Follow these basic steps:

1) apt-get source mythtv
    2) sudo apt-get build-dep mythtv
    3) sudo apt-get install devscripts
    4) dch -i
    Put what you are changing in the changelog.
    5) Make changes
    6) debuild
    7) Profit!
    Hi, found the previous information elsewhere in this forum and hate to ask questions in others their posts:

I'm fairly new to linux and programming on MythBuntu (have an background as a java, C#, C++ and assembly programmer, but that was some time ago ). At the moment I'm reading in on linux, C++ and QT4 especiall), this to contribute to MythBuntu and MythTV. Because i'm not there yet, i have the following questions.

At this moment I want to step over from analogue to DVB-C tunercards. Because my cable provider does not follow the dvb standards for providing channel information I need to recompile MythTV with the fix for Myth 0.22 discussed in ticket 3640(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3640)

I have the following questions about following the above steps from superm1

1) Do I need to reconfigure my mythtv settings after rebuilding?

2) do I loose any of the MythBuntu specifics? if so, what do I need to do else?

3) Where does apt-get (steps 2+3) places the code en scripts?

4) how to proceed with step 6: rebuilding mythTV

5) Do I just restart my system after this to use the rebuilded mythTV version? Or are there other actions nessecary?

Any help would be great.

(I'm also interested in guides about starting developing on MythBuntu and/or MythTV).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to compile MythBuntu to fix bug?

Form the info you provided in your post you are in way over you head here. However here are some basic answers to your general questions. You will need to do a lot of reading before you can get this working dependably.

1) Do I need to reconfigure my mythtv settings after rebuilding?
    No, as long as you don't try and update from one myth version to another your settings in the DB will remain.

2) do I loose any of the MythBuntu specifics? if so, what do I need to do else?
    No, mythbuntu relies on the mythtv package which (I believe) is compiled from pristine source from mythtv.org

3) Where does apt-get (steps 2+3) places the code en scripts?
    Don't worry about steps 2-3 they are building and installing on your system all of the dependencies and utilities so that you can build your own mythtv package. What you really need to do is get the mythtv-src which you can get with
    Code:
    apt-get source mythtv
    I believe that will place the source in your current directory.

4) how to proceed with step 6: rebuilding mythTV
    You are going to need to read the documentation in the source you downloaded. Basically you apply your path and then do a
    Code:
    ./configure 
    make
    however if I remember correctly there are some interesting variations on this for myth and you will probably want to figure out what the original configure command was that was used by the mythbuntu devs to generate the package.
    At this point you have a choice to make. The ideal solution is to create a new ubuntu package for yourself with your new version and then install that. This will let you avoid breaking your system next time you update. This will certainly require you to learn more about ubuntu packaging and the versioning standards.
    A quick search turne dup this link https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/
    You could also just do a make install and then remove your original myth package however that will be a bit unpredictable and will result in failures when you attempt to upgrade.

5) Do I just restart my system after this to use the rebuilded mythTV version? Or are there other actions nessecary?
    Once you get through the above you won't even need to restart, however by then you will probably be tired from reading and learning and working for a week so you may want to grab a beer.
    Last edited by uopjohnson; June 20th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    Jj
    Registered Linux user #401472

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by uopjohnson View Post
    Form the info you provided in your post you are in way over you head here. However here are some basic answers to your general questions. You will need to do a lot of reading before you can get this working dependably.

No, as long as you don't try and update from one myth version to another your settings in the DB will remain.

No, mythbuntu relies on the mythtv package which (I believe) is compiled from pristine source from mythtv.org

Don't worry about steps 2-3 they are building and installing on your system all of the dependencies and utilities so that you can build your own mythtv package. What you really need to do is get the mythtv-src which you can get with
    Code:
    apt-get source mythtv
    I believe that will place the source in your current directory.
    Please do steps 2 and 3. They will ensure your package build gets all the right options when you build.

You are going to need to read the documentation in the source you downloaded. Basically you apply your path and then do a
    Code:
    ./configure 
    make
    however if I remember correctly there are some interesting variations on this for myth and you will probably want to figure out what the original configure command was that was used by the mythbuntu devs to generate the package.
    At this point you have a choice to make. The ideal solution is to create a new ubuntu package for yourself with your new version and then install that. This will let you avoid breaking your system next time you update. This will certainly require you to learn more about ubuntu packaging and the versioning standards.
    A quick search turne dup this link https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/packagingguide/C/
    You could also just do a make install and then remove your original myth package however that will be a bit unpredictable and will result in failures when you attempt to upgrade.
    The configure options are handled as you do your dpkg-buildpackage/debuild. Also, all the nice patching and packaging will be done for you assuming you do that it that way.

Once you get through the above you won't even need to restart, however by then you will probably be tired from reading and learning and working for a week so you may want to grab a beer.
    Yes sir.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uopjohnson View Post
    Okay I have some reading to do, but thats no problem. To follow your advice exacly i'll start of with a beer (we don't want to make any mistake by not following the instructions ).

That link was real helpfull for me. Never used this kind of packaging before.
    Last edited by DutchLoki; June 21st, 2008 at 08:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superm1 View Post
    Please do steps 2 and 3. They will ensure your package build gets all the right options when you build.

The configure options are handled as you do your dpkg-buildpackage/debuild. Also, all the nice patching and packaging will be done for you assuming you do that it that way.
    Yes sir.
    Thanks again for the great info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: [SOLVED] How to compile MythBuntu to fix bug?

I am following the 7 steps above, as I need to alter the frontend timeout of 7000ms in mythsocket.cpp which causes timeout with AC3 audio, a Motorola DCX3200 cable box, and the Hauppauge HD-PVR.

I understand all the steps up to
    6) debuild

Is this command going to alter the main developer repositories? All I want to do is fix things locally... although this issue "irrecoverable recorder error" due to slow channel changing has been addressed in previous tickets (and ignored by the developers).

Thanks
    Last edited by trevmar; April 5th, 2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by trevmar View Post
    I am following the 7 steps above, as I need to alter the frontend timeout of 7000ms in mythsocket.cpp which causes timeout with AC3 audio, a Motorola DCX3200 cable box, and the Hauppauge HD-PVR.

I understand all the steps up to
    6) debuild

Is this command going to alter the main developer repositories? All I want to do is fix things locally... although this issue "irrecoverable recorder error" due to slow channel changing has been addressed in previous tickets (and ignored by the developers).

Thanks
    All that does is changes things locally indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Sorry to be such a newbie, my Linux knowledge is stuck in the "make install" era of software development, and I am struggling to get my mind around the packaging technologies.

I have gotten to the stage of making the changes to the source, and successfully creating and signing a package with debuild.

How do I use the packaging software to get the new code installed in place of the binaries currently on my system? Do I use pbuilder? The tutorials I can find are all based on chroot and sandboxes, my problem is simpler than that. I just want to install the new package I compiled from the source