Thread: Strange - Filesystem is "unknown volume"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Strange - Filesystem is "unknown volume"?

I am surprised by the fact that main hard drive in my system, aka "Filesystem", shows "unknown" for volume information when I click on its properties. Consequently, properties also does not show the graphic representation of drive usage (see attached image, Filesystem is to the right, the other drive shows perfectly).

Thus far, this is rather cosmetic, the system works like a charm!

Anyone know how to make Filsystem show up with the volume info and utilization pie chart?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Strange - Filesystem is "unknown volume"?

You are really something

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newwork1 View Post
    You are really something
    What do you mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newwork1 View Post
    You are really something
    Never mind. You obviously are nothing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't think it really means anything as the volume has no name it is just mounted as /

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hmm I've never noticed that before. For better info on your file systems go to System - Administration - System Monitor and go to the File Systems Tab. Under Applications - Accessories there's also a handy Disk Usage Analyzer.

I have a drive mounted at /home and windows partition at /windows. These don't even show up at all under "computer:///"

And yes that person who replied first obviously is nothing, only one post. Sad that they replied before anyone else though.
    Last edited by ad_267; June 21st, 2008 at 05:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    Hmm I've never noticed that before. For better info on your file systems go to System - Administration - System Monitor and go to the File Systems Tab. Under Applications - Accessories there's also a handy Disk Usage Analyzer.

I have a drive mounted at /home and windows partition at /windows. These don't even show up at all under "computer:///"
    Thanks a lot. Attached the results from System Info, looks OK to me based on other threads that analyze such output. I still find it odd the *other* volume shows the pie chart info shows the pie chart, and the main volume doesn't, but it seems I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    Thanks a lot. Attached the results from System Info, looks OK to me based on other threads that analyze such output. I still find it odd the *other* volume shows the pie chart info shows the pie chart, and the main volume doesn't, but it seems I have nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
    I think it's because of the way the Linux filesystem works. Your root file system doesn't necessarily have to reside all on one partition or hard drive. Like I said under / I have /windows and /home which are both on other partitions or drives and /windows uses a different file system (ntfs). It would be kind of confusing trying to give a graphical summary for this. It's a bit different when you have just one drive mounted in /media or /mnt as you know it's just one partition.