Thread: listing files in terminal

Beans

Question listing files in terminal

Hi

Maybe a simple thing for some but I need to change some permissions on a folder I created on another volume (not the boot volume).

How do I change volumes so that I can list/change files etc in that volume?

ian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: listing files in terminal

Simplest way:

Code:
    sudo nautilus
    Browse for what you're looking for, right click it, go to Properties, and then change permissions from the Permissions tab.

If you really want to do it through the command line, this takes you to a directory:
    Code:
    cd /PATHTODIRECTORY
    And this takes you up a level:
    Code:
    cd ..
    To list files in a directory, use:
    Code:
    ls -a
    Last edited by Dynaflow; June 20th, 2008 at 11:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaflow View Post
    Simplest way:
    Code:
    sudo nautilus
    When using root privileges with graphical applications it is recommend to use gksudo instead of sudo.

More here. So, this would be the command.

Code:
    gksudo nautilus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wormser View Post
    When using root privileges with graphical applications it is recommend to use gksudo instead of sudo.

More here. So, this would be the command.

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    So that's why. Interesting.

Beans

Exclamation Re: listing files in terminal

The nautilus line runs a gui with a file browser. Opening the volume with the folder in that I created and right clicking I get an option Properties, selecting that opens a dialogue with various tabs atop, including Permissions. Selecting Permissions tab displays three areas, Owner Group and Others with Folder and File options for each respectively.

Owner says ians (my login)
    Folder Access: Create and Delete Files
    File Access: ----

Group says root
    Folder Acess: none

Others says <blank>
    Folder Access: ----

Trying to change any of them does nothing, they just flick back to what they say above, clicking the button at the foot of that dialogue "Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files" just clears any choices I make above.

Its all a bit strange I think as when I created the share on this folder I ticked the box that said "Guest Access" so I would have thought the "Others" would include read/write access for anyone.

I may be barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking, lol) being a beginner, but isn't there a command line thingy like chmod to change permissions I could use?

I just dont know how to specify the volume name at the command prompt because it does not seem to recognise the "xxGb Media" label the GUI displays.

I am probably asking the wrong questions, help!

ian

ps the object of the exercise was to make the folder read/write accessible to everyone on the local network.
    Last edited by ians1; June 20th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ians1 View Post
    The nautilus line runs a gui with a file browser. Opening the volume with the folder in that I created and right clicking I get an option Properties, selecting that opens a dialogue with various tabs atop, including Permissions. Selecting Permissions tab displays three areas, Owner Group and Others with Folder and File options for each respectively.

Owner says ians (my login)
    Folder Access: Create and Delete Files

Group says root
    Folder Acess: none

Others says <blank>
    Folder Access: ----

Trying to change any of them does nothing, they just flick back to what they say above, clicking the button at the foot of that dialogue "Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files" just clears any choices I make above.

Its all a bit strange I think as when I created the share on this folder I ticked the box that said "Guest Access" so I would have thought the "Others" would include read/write access for anyone.

I may be barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking, lol) being a beginner, but isn't there a command line thingy like chmod to change permissions I could use?

I just dont know how to specify the volume name at the command prompt because it does not seem to recognise the "xxGb Media" label the GUI displays.

I am probably asking the wrong questions, help!

ian

ps the object of the exercise was to make the folder read/write accessible to everyone on the local network.
    Ian,

There is indeed a chmod command and it works by using three digits to represent the permissions. You can only chmod without using sudo when you are the owner (eg you are in your own home folder). The digits in order are for owner, group and everybody. The numbers are 4 for read, 2 for write and 1 for execute. Like this:

Owner - Group - Everybody
    R-W-X - R-W-X - R-W-X
    4-2-1 - 4-2-1 - 4-2-1

so, if you want to give RWX permissions to owner and Group and RW permissions to Everybody it would be:

Owner - 4+2+1 = 7
    Group - 4+2+1 = 7
    Everybody - 4+2 = 6

Therefore command would be "chmod 776 <path then filename>"

Hope this helps....

Gary.

Beans

Exclamation Re: listing files in terminal

How do I specify the path to another volume, like another disk as this is?

ian

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello,

In Linux, there's only one root. There are no separate volumes like in Windows C:, D: etc.

Thus, you merely need to change to the desired directory:

cd "dir-name"

Cheers,
    Dedoimedo

Beans

Question Re: listing files in terminal

Still can't do it, just says

Code:
    ians@ians-unix:/$ cd D_arc
    bash: cd: D_arc: No such file or directory
    but I can see it in the file browser

ian

Beans

Wink Re: listing files in terminal

Its OK

I found it

Code:
    ians@ians-unix:/media/disk$ dir
    D_arc
    Its just a bit obscure because the file browser thingy lists volumes by name eg "100Gb Media" or "New Volume" which don't corespond to the /media/disk as above.

ian