Thread: Help with Asus eee

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Help with Asus eee

My friend thinks he got a virus on his Asus eee. He doesn't have an anti-virus because he thinks it'll be too slow to use(I think this is stupid).

How can I scan his computer using my computer if his harddive is soldered into his laptop? I'm not sure if I can plug it in like an external harddrive and scan it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Help with Asus eee

Windows XP, Xandros, or something else?

Beans

For eee specific matters, eeeuser.com's forum section might be best able to help you. If your friend has the default operating system installed, uner settings go to "anti-virus" and launch your inquest from there. If you are able, go to settings => add/remove software and update your anti-virus database first. If your bud does have the default linux os, they probably don't have a virus. Could you explain the symptoms you think are viruslike?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

He's using windows XP. He got the virus from sharing USBs...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe install Knoppix to a USB stick, boot off it, install F-Prot, and scan for viruses and remove them?

These two links might help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    Tux Can Give Windows a Helping Hand with Knoppix

Beans

ya basically whatever live-cd will be compatible with your networking card (ideally you can connect to a wired network) will allow you to install and update an anti-virus program or install firefox and then go to one of those free online scans. In the end, you might want to just use that live-cd as a backup-enabler and move his personal files to a usb/cd/dvd/hd/etc and reinstall windows after that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Why not just use the old time-honoured method of re-installing Windows, formatting or deleting the partition(s) first....?

Better yet, just install eeeXubuntu on it.