Thread: Video Lag & Very High Cpu

Beans

Video Lag & Very High Cpu

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook P1120
    SPECS:
    • 800MHz Transmeta Crusoe Processor (comparable to a slightly lower-clocked Pentium 3)
    • 256MB of RAM (unexpandable)
    • 30GB Hard Drive
    • ATi Mobility Radeon LY
    • 8.9" Touchscreen
    • Integrated Atheros 802.11g Wi-Fi
    • NO OPTICAL or FLOPPY DRIVE
    • NO BOOTABLE USB OR CD-ROM (hard drive had to be removed and Linux was installed using another computer)
    • Xubuntu 8.04

It originally had Windows XP SP2 on it, and it actually ran rather well. Firefox could play Youtube videos at a good 15-20fps, and loadup times were fast.

Now I install Xubuntu 8.04, and the machine is now slow as molasses. Youtube videos are complete slideshows, and loadup times can take onwards of 6 minutes!

I have a feeling its the video drivers which are causing this problem, because anything I do graphically in XFCE shoots up the CPU Usage and all actions have a delay of up to a minute. I simply move the mouse and my CPU Usage goes from 74% (idle) to 99%!!

It HAS to be the graphics! I mean, why would XP SP2 run like a Ferrari compared to Xubuntu Linux!?!

I read the thread about the Mobility LY driver, and I just don't know how to do it. I've never used Linux before, so I know nothing about getting root and terminal and such. I have no choice, however, because this laptop has no optical drive or bootable-anything, and you cannot install XP on another computer and just move the hard drive to the laptop (whereas in Linux, you can).

What do I do?
    #1 - It has to be the graphics drivers right?
    #2 - What do I do? I can't even access any info about my drivers in the "Applications" menu, so I can't even tell whats going on!

Beans

Re: Video Lag & Very High Cpu

I just installed Catalyst, and this shows up:

I dont know what ATi Config is and I dont know how to use it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Video Lag & Very High Cpu

Quote Originally Posted by InRainbows View Post
    I just installed Catalyst, and this shows up:

I dont know what ATi Config is and I dont know how to use it
    Hi and you may look here for assistants with the ATI graphics