Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Upgrade to Intrepid (Pre-Alpha)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question HOWTO: Upgrade to Intrepid (Pre-Alpha)

There have been a lot of users having problems with the upgrade to Intrepid. With the delay in Alpha 1, and large interest in testing, I created this howto to get new testers into Intrepid on the right foot, and hopefully cut down on the number of posts asking for help with various issues.

For those who are new to development testing, and think Intrepid may be over your heads, it probably is. However, right now there is a call for testers for the packages in the hardy-proposed repository (updates to hardy which have not yet been released, and may include bugs). This is much easier and safer, yet still very necessary, and could be a more appropriate way for you to contribute to Ubuntu. You can read about enabling the proposed repositories here and here. For the rest, who are still interested in Intrepid, please read on.

Please note the following before upgrading to Intrepid:

• Intrepid is a development release. Breakages are common and to be expected, so only use if you have the time and knowledge to deal with such breakages. It is not recommended to use Intrepid as your main OS, as serious damage may occur.
    • These instructions only apply while Intrepid is in a pre-alpha state. Once the Alpha 1 iso's are released, installing by CD is the easiest and most reliable method. You can check the release schedule here.

To upgrade to Intrepid 8.10:

1. Start with a fresh install of Hardy 8.04, right off the CD. Do NOT update at this point.
    2. Open your sources.list file for editing by running the following command in a terminal:
      Code:
      gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
    3. Use the "Search">"Replace" tool to replace all references to "hardy" with "intrepid". Save and exit the file.
    4. Start Update Manager, hit "Check". If a window comes up asking for a "partial update" press "Cancel" to return to the main update-manager window, and then continue to the next step. NEVER do "partial upgrades" or "dist-upgrades" without checking what is being changed!
    5. Uncheck the "debconf" update, as it will not install properly unless another update has already been applied.
    6. Hit "Install Updates".
    7. Once this is done, start Synaptic, and carefully apply the remaining updates manually. They will appear in the "Installed (upgradeable)" category. Before installing make sure that the update will not remove any important packages, however installing other packages should be fine. If you are unsure whether a specific package should be removed, feel free ask on the forum or IRC.
    8. Once this is done, you can restart and you should be successfully be running Intrepid.

Some post install notes:
    • If it fails to boot, it may not necessarily be your fault; as Intrepid is in heavy development, the system is not always in a bootable state. You can wait and hope a fix is release, or try to diagnose the problem. You can always check the forum to see if people are having problems similar to yours.
    • Never install updates by doing a "dist-upgrade" or a partial upgrade. These tools can remove important packages if dependencies are not met, which occurs quite often in the developmental version. The better solution is to do a regular update, and then use synaptic to check what is being removed. If it is a dependency issue, just wait until all the correct packages are added to the repository.

Let me know if you see any issues or have any suggestions to make on the above. Good luck!
    Last edited by Raptor45; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: tried to make update clearer

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Upgrade to Intrepid (Pre-Alpha)

I would say if you don't know this already it is way too early to run intrepid. Look at the work I had to do just to get the nvidia driver right now. I don't think people that needs this guide would be able to get nvidia working.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would agree that those who don't already know this information probably aren't ready, but that has never been a barrier to the curious.

There is a lot of misinformation about running a developmental release (namely "dist-upgrade"), which causes a lot of inexperienced users to run into some unnecessary problems. My hope for this howto is that it will cut down on some of the posts about issues caused by installing or updating incorrectly, as well as providing some decent basic knowledge for new testers.

You don't need the nvidia driver to run Intrepid, so I don't really see that as a barrier. You can just use vesa or nv and wait it out. Compiling the nvidia driver from source really isn't a good long-term solution anyway, and is not necessarily helpful from a testing standpoint.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

About hardy-backports testing:

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor45 View Post
    This is much easier and safer, yet still very necessary, and could be a more appropriate way for you to contribute to Ubuntu.
    Please add some pointer to an explanation on how to do hardy-backports testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personally, although I had already been testing development versions before, I found the HowTo useful in correcting some misconceptions (such as using dist-upgrade) and clarifying a few points. And... whilst far from expert in Linux I enjoy learning and sorting out problems but I believe I take a responsible view of the safety of data. Also, I have had a career in computer programming and systems development and maintenance.

I do agree that a decent knowledge of computer systems and problem solving is a prerequisite of testing an OS at this early stage in development of a new version. OTOH if someone with a spare machine feels like having a dabble and is happy to "jump in at the deep end"... then why not?
    Last edited by Gina; June 21st, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mouz_forum View Post
    About hardy-backports testing:

Please add some pointer to an explanation on how to do hardy-backports testing.
    I added a link to a post made by Henrik about testing proposed, as well as a link to his blog describing how to get started. I think that pretty much covers it, but if theres anything better let me know.

Beans
    Distro

I have Hardy proposed selected on all my machines and use the updated Hardy for all my main computing. I also run the Hardy release version (without proposed updates) to check maintenance updates. Plus Intrepid on my test desktop (AMD64 with NVidia graphics) and laptop (older 32 bit with ATI graphics) when I'm in the mood for testing the very latest stuff.

I should add... The Hardy versions are working fine and it's going well. Intrepid is fine on my laptop (avoiding partial updates) and usable (albeit at low res) on my AMD64. I'm not bothering to fiddle with compiling patches to the NVidia driver at this time as I agree that it would not really achieve anything useful towards the testing schedule.
    Last edited by Gina; June 21st, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor45 View Post
    I added a link to a post made by Henrik about testing proposed, as well as a link to his blog describing how to get started. I think that pretty much covers it, but if theres anything better let me know.
    If possible more users must be involved.

Within the "cafe" there are a lot of "lost users" which just
    spend their time with endless discussions if the "earth is round or flat".

Invite also them to testing and maybe a "newbie warning" about risks.

Beans

Virtual Boxes Ready to Test And report

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: HOWTO: Upgrade to Intrepid (Pre-Alpha)

I did setup the nVidia driver because it's fun to play UT2004 whilst waiting for updates
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast