Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please help BCM94311MCG WLAN wont detect hardware!

Beans

Wink Re: Please help BCM94311MCG WLAN wont detect hardware!

Yeah, it would be "lsusb" as apposed to "lspci".
    I have both of the cards working now, and iv restarted both machines many times.
    I think the problem was that you must keep the driver file saved wherever it was when you browsed to it in Ndiswrapper.
    If you browse to it, and install the driver, then delete the folder containing it (which is what I did) as I figured that Ndiswrapper would "Install" IE copy the file and configure it, but apperently it creates like a link. I imagine that it is to save space, by not copying the driver .inf file twice.
    Thats what I think anyway, cause I installed the driver from a folder on my desktop called "Wireless Driver" and in there is the .inf file.
    It is set up the same on both machines. So I just leave the folders there, and iv restarted the machines around five times, and each time the wireless connects automatically as soon as I log in.
    Thanks so much for all your time and help.
    I will post again, should I encounter any further problems using wireless, but it looks like iv cracked it.
    So thank you very much.
    - Craig

Beans

Smile Re: Please help BCM94311MCG WLAN wont detect hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by jw5801 View Post
    No you don't have to keep it where you installed from. NDISwrapper copies it to /etc/ndiswrapper/ when you install it.

I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but if the card is not being detected by lspci or lshw, something is seriously seriously wrong, and it has absolutely nothing to do with ndiswrapper or any module at all, and most likely nothing to do with Linux.

If you're still looking to get the broadcom cards working I wrote a how-to here.

Also, installing a driver with wine isn't going to get you anywhere, a driver in linux is a module, something that can be added to the running kernel to assist with low-level hardware interfaces. Wine can't help at all with any of those things.

Ok, that's my impressions of a brief glance through the last 4 pages onto the current issue.

Your new adaptor worked fine, but after a couple of reboots in no longer works? What output do you get from:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    lshw -C network
    sudo rmmod ndiswrapper
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    dmesg | tail -n10
    For some reason it just works now, on both machines.
    Only different thing I can think of is that I kept the drivers where I installed them from. But as you say, it doesn't matter.
    I don't know, but both work a treat now. Another weird thing is that on my desktop I have a hard disk running Windows XP and it wont run the card properly! Its wierd cause it did all the "Found new hardware" ****, and installed from the disk, but then it wont use the card. Its weird. But Im not caring cause Ubuntu's running it just fine. =)
    So thanks for your time and help. I will post again if any other problems come up. Im just finding my feet with Ubuntu (Heron) so I might come across as being retarded, but Im still learning.
    Thanks alot for your time, and for your help.
    Very much appreciated
    Last edited by Lifeis; July 8th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb may this can help

please use this on your ndiswrapper, coz it looks everyone in this thread use bcmwl5.inf. This is the bcmwl6.inf, hopefully could be used
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: may this can help

Quote Originally Posted by beny-4.56 View Post
    please use this on your ndiswrapper, coz it looks everyone in this thread use bcmwl5.inf. This is the bcmwl6.inf, hopefully could be used
    The bcmwl6.inf file is the newer version of the Windows driver. However, this new version does not work with NDISwrapper yet because of all the changes made to that driver. Based on their website, they are working on a solution for getting the bcmwl6 driver to work but it is not ready yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I upgraded to Hardy 8.04 and had my wireless card up in about 5 minutes (exactly the Broadcom one you mention in a HP dv6000) using b43fw-cutter with the new b43 driver. I loaded the Cutter in restricted drivers, Hardy did the rest and works a treat after stuffing about with Gutsy, BCMWL5 driver and ndiswrapper for 6 months. I never got that combination to work. The b43 driver is designed (among other things) to overcome the bcmwl5.inf/linux nightmare anyhow, and Hardy works great with that card in my machine. A definite breakthrough for Ubuntu as that card has been a real bug bear by the looks of the posts concerning it.
    I posted this an eon ago. Forget bcmwl6.inf. It won't work.

You can try ndiswrapper and bcmwl5.inf if you like (some say to have bcmwl5.sys in the same folder), but if you do some research, you will find this method is now obsolete and covered by the new b43 driver and b43fw-cutter. I can just about guarantee (just about!) that Hardy and b43fw-cutter will get your card up. I have exactly the same one.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...Driver/bcm43xx

Good luck ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 27th, 2008 at 04:13 AM.

Beans

I wouldn't exactly call ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 obsolete! b43 still doesn't handle 802.11g connections, ndiswrapper, however, does. I can guarantee with about the same level of confidence that ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 will get the card up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345