Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Any music player that supports zip/rar/p7zip files?!

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    exactly. Which is why I don't understand why people use .rar for music--it doesn't compress the file any more (unless they're, like, wavs!)...luckily I see them only rarely on torrents. You can also play music as it's being shared from your torrent folder--just don't edit the tags!

foobar runs great on wine in linux

what format is the music in? Because you could probably save a lot of space by converting it to another format
    I store the music files in a .rar mostly for filesharing, still an emule user
    I'd say that 98% of the music is in mp3, and the rest in .mpc and some other formats.
    I already tried to run foobar with wine, but it doesn't seem to be working, probably i'm the cause of it not working, but after spending 3/4 hours reading this tutorial --> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=54933 and not getting anything from it, i kinda got frustrated and tried to find other options.
    You're of great help, thanks a lot again. People here are very supporting.

Cheers

Beans

Hi padrecovsky,

Quote Originally Posted by padrecovsky View Post

Code:
    Playing -.
    Reading from stdin...
    Cache fill:  0.00% (0 bytes)   
    Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: avisynth.dll, /usr/lib/win32/avisynth.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/avisynth.dll
    Does this makes any sense to you?
    I feel i must point out that i'm one of the noobs. Been using ubuntu for a day now.
    I did not realise that you have only been using Ubuntu for a day, so my apologies for dragging you into a comparatively advanced usage of my favourite media player . This error message probably indicates that the rar archive contains some sort of playlist and I am not sure if MPlayer can actually read this from an archive. But if you are keen you could try a slight variation:

Code:
    unrar p -inul myarchive.rar | mplayer -cache 2048 -playlist -
    but I should mention that I have not tested this syntax. Some discussion of this error message here.

BTW welcome to Ubuntu!!

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I store the music files in a .rar mostly for filesharing, still an emule user I'd say that 98% of the music is in mp3, and the rest in .mpc and some other formats.
    ok, I see...if it's already in lossy format, nothing to do there

I already tried to run foobar with wine, but it doesn't seem to be working, probably i'm the cause of it not working, but after spending 3/4 hours reading this tutorial --> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=54933 and not getting anything from it, i kinda got frustrated and tried to find other options.
    I had a look at that tut...looks really good--can't see where you might have gone wrong...except maybe try "standard" instead of "portable" installation.

.rar playback on my foobar is fine (shows I have "RAR reader" vers. 1.2 foo_unpack)...it might have changed though to foo_unpack_7z

where exactly is the problem?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi padrecovsky,
    I did not realise that you have only been using Ubuntu for a day, so my apologies for dragging you into a comparatively advanced usage of my favourite media player . This error message probably indicates that the rar archive contains some sort of playlist and I am not sure if MPlayer can actually read this from an archive. But if you are keen you could try a slight variation:

Code:
    but I should mention that I have not tested this syntax. Some discussion of this error message here.

BTW welcome to Ubuntu!!

Andrew
    First of all, there's no need for apologies, there's the need for me to thank the help.
    And that syntax actually worked, so as far as i understood this line i should use when there's a playlist inside the .rar the previous one is for use when there's not a playlist, right?
    Actually i'm feeling very welcomed into this world, people are always trying to help and find solutions for the problems.
    So thanks again for the help.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    ok, I see...if it's already in lossy format, nothing to do there

I had a look at that tut...looks really good--can't see where you might have gone wrong...except maybe try "standard" instead of "portable" installation.

.rar playback on my foobar is fine (shows I have "RAR reader" vers. 1.2 foo_unpack)...it might have changed though to foo_unpack_7z

where exactly is the problem?
    Thanks again for being so helpful firstly.
    The problem is that actually foobar never got to work, open (i do miss it)
    I followed the howto step by step until IV. Application Package and i've actually used the "portable" instalation and did everything according to the howto and it never worked.
    The foobar icon actually appears under the "sound and video" tab, i click on it and nothing happens. i didn't continue to the components part, as i almost never use any of them anyway. I'm being a noob that's for sure, but where exactly am I ruining everything, i don't know. I hope you can understand what i've written.
    So thanks again.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm fairly sure VLC will play rar files, give that a shot.

Beans

Hi padrecovsky,

First of all, there's no need for apologies, there's the need for me to thank the help.
    And that syntax actually worked, so as far as i understood this line i should use when there's a playlist inside the .rar the previous one is for use when there's not a playlist, right?
    That is certainly my understanding of the requirement and I guess this makes it all a bit clumsier. You could simply test this with either syntax or if you have developed a taste for the commandline you can list the contents of the rar archive as follows:

Code:
    unrar l myarchive.rar
    and decide from there. My apologies were for the most part because it is often a mistake to confront new Ubuntu users with the commandline as the gui is usually more welcoming. Hard for me sometimes as I am something of a commandline junkie .

Actually i'm feeling very welcomed into this world, people are always trying to help and find solutions for the problems.
    So thanks again for the help.
    It is my pleasure . It is the Ubuntu community that keeps drawing me personally back to Ubuntu.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yoasif View Post
    I'm fairly sure VLC will play rar files, give that a shot.
    You're absolutely right, it does play them.
    There's only one problem, it plays an album as if it was one song only.
    I'll keep trying to get foobar working.

Thanks

Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Hi padrecovsky,

Code:
    unrar l myarchive.rar
    and decide from there. My apologies were for the most part because it is often a mistake to confront new Ubuntu users with the commandline as the gui is usually more welcoming. Hard for me sometimes as I am something of a commandline junkie .

It is my pleasure . It is the Ubuntu community that keeps drawing me personally back to Ubuntu.

Andrew
    For now i'm still a bit afraid of the command line , but with time i'll get used to it.
    I'm really enjoying ubuntu so far, but let me get used to all those command lines, as it's still very frightening.
    So far i'm positively impressed with all the help i've been getting. People are actually nice and helpful.
    Again thanks for the help and tips.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Code:
    It seems a variation of that works on vlc (sort of):
    unrar p -inul myarchive.rar | vlc -
    but there's pops and glitches in playback and odd error messages, so I'm not sure what the deal is...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast