Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

Ubuntu Breezy with a lexmark z605
    Modified HOWTO from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714 to work with breezy

Dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien # rpm to deb converter
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)
    1. Download the driver from lexmark's site (CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

2. Run though the following commands
    Code:
    tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems.
    tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    sudo alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    sudo ldconfig # refresh ubuntu to see the new libraries
    cd /usr/share/cups/model
    sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.
    3. Now we run:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
    You should be something like:
    Code:
    direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark  Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
    4.Now simply set up your printer using the new z600 driver. (ie: in GNOME: System->Administration->Printing)
    Last edited by tapH20guru; October 28th, 2005 at 11:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

These instructions worked for me in installing a Lexmark Z55, although some of the file names in the Z55 driver are not entirely parallel with those in the Z600's. When testing the backend (executing z55), I got no output at all, but the printer still seems to work just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

I was having problems getting a Dell 720 (repackaged Lexmark 615) that my roommate gave me for free working. I followed all the steps but the driver didn't output anything and the printer wouldn't work.

Ubuntu automatically pointed the printer to usb://Dell/Photo%20Printer%20720, but cups was complaining that the device did not exist. Finally, after a lot of hair pulling, I switched it to /dev/usb/lp0 and changed the permissions and I am now printing. I am worried that there is a security issue in my solution though. Is that okay? And how else should I go about fixing it?

Beans

Cool Re: HOWTO: Lexmark z605 (and possibly other 600 series)

Quote Originally Posted by tapH20guru
    Ubuntu Breezy with a lexmark z605
    Modified HOWTO from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49714 to work with breezy

Dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien # rpm to deb converter
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5 # (breezy come with v6 but you need v5 for compatibility)
    1. Download the driver from lexmark's site (CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

2. Run though the following commands
    Code:
    tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
    tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems.
    tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
    sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    sudo alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
    sudo tar xvzf  z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
    sudo ldconfig # refresh ubuntu to see the new libraries
    cd /usr/share/cups/model
    sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
    sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart #The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.
    3. Now we run:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
    You should be something like:
    Code:
    direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark  Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
    4.Now simply set up your printer using the new z600 driver. (ie: in GNOME: System->Administration->Printing)
    Did all that, and got the expected results from ./z600, and the System->Administration->Printing shows my printer (I'd like it to say it's a Z25, but that's a minor issue). However, attempting to print a test page just sits with the paperfeed light blinking forever and nothing comes out. I pushed the paperfeed button, and the blinking stopped, but the paper still doesn't come out.

Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brucek
    Did all that, and got the expected results from ./z600, and the System->Administration->Printing shows my printer (I'd like it to say it's a Z25, but that's a minor issue). However, attempting to print a test page just sits with the paperfeed light blinking forever and nothing comes out. I pushed the paperfeed button, and the blinking stopped, but the paper still doesn't come out.

Any ideas?
    Found another thread that used a similar format on a z35 file (CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ), and got farther thru the process. However, somehow the z600 process wouldn't finish and release the printer, so I rebooted and now it works fine!

Under *******, the printer had a tool where you could fine tune the head alignment, but I'm not seeing that in the './z35 utilities' process. Maybe I don't care, tho.

Anyhow, it's working good enough for me!

Thanx!
    -bk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This worked perfectly for my z605! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

working on a z715 .. but with the other .rpm's... meant for z700 series, when using z715, and maybe other z700 series, with the z600 driver, printing is off-center.
    http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/...2.0-1.i386.rpm
    http://users.cybercity.dk/~dko12479/...1.1-1.i586.rpm
    HOWEVER...
    I am haveing some issues, well, just one... no matter how many leading blank lines in a document, i get the first line of text right on the top edge of the page!
    any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I get as far as the download from Lexmark which appears on the Desktop as a Tarball. When I run the command it does not see the download, what have I done wrong??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Try 'cd Desktop'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Rouge8 that did the trick !

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast