Thread: setting up a home server for gaming

Beans

setting up a home server for gaming

Hi all. I'm a total noob to ubuntu. I would like to set up a server to run a few games with a few mates. Can any one help me with the setup of my new server? I would like to run hamachi as a vpn for friends to connect from home. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Beans

Re: setting up a home server for gaming

What sort of server level things are you planning on doing with the games? Do you mean to run a server to host your online matches? Hamachi runs just fine on ubuntu server edition from the cli so that would work. (although I don't really like hamachi) For running a game host server, you must see if your game supports running on a linux server. I know all of id software's games will run just fine on linux servers, and I believe the unreals will as well. A little more info would be very helpful in assisting you.

Beans

Re: setting up a home server for gaming

What would you recommend to replace hamachi? I chose hamachi as we already use it to play c&c generals zero hour and would have to be able to use it on windows as well. really looking for a better way to play games and share files with mates. Was thinking of using a old 2.4g machine as server and maybe setting up a home intranet to share media.
    Thanks all