Thread: ubuntu stops responding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ubuntu stops responding

im running gutsy on my asus eee for about 4 months but for the last few days i have been having troubles with it and firefox

the problem happens at no specific times, at least during no repeating times or websites

the first thing that happens is the pointer starts to lag behind a bit and then it comes to a complete standstill at this point all i can do is pull the plug, yank the battery and restart

something similar to this also happened today when i tried opening pidgin, firefox, a console and wanda the fish it wouldn't open any of them it just froze up and then after a few min all of them opened at the same time
    asrock 890 delux fx4 amd 6 core 2.8ghz 4 gigs ddr 3 ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: ubuntu stops responding

Same thing happens in Hardy for me--when I copy files from a CD/DVD, or when I update via Update Manager.
    My computer starts going into a frenzy, and one time I remembered the situation and quickly opened up System Monitor before my computer froze.
    The amount of RAM being used was 97% of 1 GB.

Though for my CD/DVD copying problem, it usually stops after the file operation is done, the Update Manager problem persists.