Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: [SOLVED] CPU at full speed all the time...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    354
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    [SOLVED] CPU at full speed all the time...

    I just got a new Core 2 Duo, E8400, and put Hardy on it. Runs great, the only problem I'm having is the CPU is always running at full speed, that is, frequency scaling isn't working.

    I tried both powernowd and cpufreqd, neither work. cpufreq-info gives
    Code:
    $ cpufreq-info 
    cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
    Report errors and bugs to linux@brodo.de, please.
    analyzing CPU 0:
      no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
    analyzing CPU 1:
      no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
    Running powernowd directly gives
    Code:
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/affected_cpus: No such file or directory
    powernowd: err=2
    powernowd: Found 1 scalable unit:  -- 2 'CPUs' per scalable unit
    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq: No such file or directory
    
    PowerNowd encountered and error and could not start.
    and, indeed, there are no such directories. It's as if the CPU's frequency scaling capabilities aren't recognized by Ubuntu...

    Any ideas?

    (I have a Gigabyte EP35-DS3L motherboard, if that's important.)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    $here ? $here : $there
    Beans
    3,717
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Can you post the output of:

    Code:
    lsmod | grep freq
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    354
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Thanks for the response, vor. Here is what I get:
    Code:
    $ lsmod | grep freq
    cpufreq_stats           7104  0 
    cpufreq_ondemand        9740  0 
    cpufreq_conservative     8712  0 
    cpufreq_userspace       5284  0 
    freq_table              5536  2 cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
    cpufreq_powersave       2688  0

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    $here ? $here : $there
    Beans
    3,717
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Have you tried:

    Code:
    sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    If that doesn't work, it's possible that your motherboard doesn't properly support frequency scaling under linux. You could try using a newer kernel or see if the DSDT for your motherboard can be fixed (not trivial to do).
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    354
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    Have you tried:

    Code:
    sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    I get
    Code:
    $ sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq
    FATAL: Error inserting acpi-cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device
    What is very strange however, is that when I looked for the file, I found this:
    Code:
    $ locate acpi-cpufreq.ko
    /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko
    - the file exists, but for the -16 kernel, and I am running the latest kernel, -19. Might that be the problem, that the -19 kernel is missing something?

    If that doesn't work, it's possible that your motherboard doesn't properly support frequency scaling under linux. You could try using a newer kernel or see if the DSDT for your motherboard can be fixed (not trivial to do).
    Trying a newer kernel sounds a little beyond my skills at this point... and I don't even know what DSDT means

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Beans
    310
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by kripkenstein View Post
    I just got a new Core 2 Duo, E8400, and put Hardy on it. Runs great, the only problem I'm having is the CPU is always running at full speed, that is, frequency scaling isn't working.

    ...
    May I ask why you want the CPU scaled?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    $here ? $here : $there
    Beans
    3,717
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Some googling makes me think this is a fairly common problem with some Gigabyte motherboards. Have you enabled "Cool and Quiet" in the motherboards BIOS (assuming that option is available).
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    354
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by wootah View Post
    May I ask why you want the CPU scaled?
    Well, with frequency scaling the CPU only works at 100% speed when it has to. So this both saves electricity and makes the computer less noisy (the fan can work slower).

    Quote Originally Posted by vor View Post
    Some googling makes me think this is a fairly common problem with some Gigabyte motherboards. Have you enabled "Cool and Quiet" in the motherboards BIOS (assuming that option is available).
    Cool'n'Quiet is an AMD option, as far as I know, and I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo. I did check very carefully in my BIOS if there were any options that seem related to this issue, and I can't see anything.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Beans
    354
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Ok, this is now solved.

    Turns out it wasn't an Ubuntu issue at all. It's a bug with my motherboard. For some reason the "EIST" option vanishes sometimes in the BIOS screens, and it turns out EIST is Enhanced Intel SpeedStep, and SpeedStep is exactly what is needed to scale CPU frequencies...

    By chance I was comparing my BIOS settings to the manual, and I saw that the EIST option was missing. Despite the name seeming to be irrelevant, I Googled it and found it was likely the issue. Anyhow, to get it to appear again I had to fiddle with some other BIOS settings. Long story short, I now have CPU frequency scaling but my memory speed might be a tad lower. But I can live with that.

    Thanks again to the people helping out in this thread, I appreciate the effort, it saved me a lot of time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kamloops, BC
    Beans
    310
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: CPU at full speed all the time...

    Quote Originally Posted by kripkenstein View Post
    Ok, this is now solved.

    Turns out it wasn't an Ubuntu issue at all. It's a bug with my motherboard. For some reason the "EIST" option vanishes sometimes in the BIOS screens, and it turns out EIST is Enhanced Intel SpeedStep, and SpeedStep is exactly what is needed to scale CPU frequencies...

    By chance I was comparing my BIOS settings to the manual, and I saw that the EIST option was missing. Despite the name seeming to be irrelevant, I Googled it and found it was likely the issue. Anyhow, to get it to appear again I had to fiddle with some other BIOS settings. Long story short, I now have CPU frequency scaling but my memory speed might be a tad lower. But I can live with that.

    Thanks again to the people helping out in this thread, I appreciate the effort, it saved me a lot of time.
    Could you mention what BIOS setting it was that you changed ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •