Thread: PLEASE HELP! Scanner wont work!

Beans

Exclamation PLEASE HELP! Scanner wont work!

Hi, I have a HP Scanjet 4470c and it doesnt work at all with XSane. I have installed the libextras for Xsane and it finds my scanner, but whenever I scan nothing works.

When I use CCD Type 0, I get a black page
    When I use CCD Type 1, It says 'Error during device I/O'

Does anyone know how to change the settings to work. If anyone has this scanner, can you please tell me what you did to make it work. I have already removed Windows XP from the hard drive, but I might need to put it back because I need to make copies of important documents. Please tell me how to make the scanner work, even without color! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: PLEASE HELP! Scanner wont work!

When you enter (in a terminal window) sane-find-scanner or scanimage -L what output do you get?
    From the sane site I see your scanner is listed as "good". Have you looked at the rts8891 backend & manual page links? The manual page link seems to be broken, but from the bottom of the backend page there is this:
    Sources
    The full SANE CVS sources patched with the backend are at sane-backends-rts8891.tar.gz
    Unpack the sources, configure and compile.
    Or you can grab it as patch against SANE 1.0.19 rts8891.patch.gz
    You may use the script to do a preview with scanimage and full debug activated, and xrun to run xsane before doing a system wide install.
    You can send me or SANE devel (registration required) feedback about your success or problem reports.
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.

Beans

Re: PLEASE HELP! Scanner wont work!

I got it to work, however in a wierd way. I relized that while the image was being scanned, if i didnt move the mouse, everything came out near perfect. if i moved the mouse a lot, it would either not work or everything would be scrambled. thanks for the link and support!